• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hi need a bit of help

coopz21

i have a 200ltr tank with 2 kribs and 2 blue rams i was wondering if there are any type of cichlids i can put in beside them

thanks john

strohl71

5 Year Member
John -

Mixing African and South American cichlids is not recommended. They generally require different water parameters and tend not to get along very well. They even "speak" different languages in terms of mood coloration (aggressive vs. submission).

I would tell you to pick one type and go with that.

coopz21

if i was to pick kribs whats my choice of cichlids i could put in with them?

my kribs and rams have been in the same tank as each other for around 3 months now and never had any problems with them

discusone

5 Year Member
Hi,

stroh71,is making the standard argument,and makes alot of sense.However,fish rarely read the books the experts write,and will settle down to sort out their differences themselves.
Not surprised your rams and kribs are living in harmoney.Lots of food,good care,and alls right with the world.

Short of putting in an oscar,or Dempsey,put in any other cichlid that your GOOD SENSE,would tell you would work.If it dosent work out,it will be obvious in short order.Your fish will work this out.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I think the argument not to keep Pelvichromis sp with Apistogramma is based upon the likely aggressiveness of the Kribs when they are breeding.

Because they are usually larger than the Apistogramma spp. they can dispossess and /or stress them. Stressed Apistogramma are usually fairly rapidly dead Apistogramma.

The Rams are a slightly different argument, based upon their size and lack of aggressiveness they aren't a threat to the Kribs.

cheers Darrel

discusone

5 Year Member
Maybe you should state what you were thinking of,as far as other fish.Then the knowlegable crew here could give some insite,as to what would work,and what will not.

You know,apistos,pelivca,nannochromis,small great whites.:biggrin:

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi all,

My view is that each fish should be kept to their requirments and if there are other fish that are compatible with water quality etc, then sure add them. Mixing Americans and Africans in the long term is just not fair on either fish. You did not mention your water parameters, set up etc, so it is hard to judge what else you can place in your tank. This is just my view. cheers jk :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….