• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with Apistogramma info, sexing and ID.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I will agree with Frank on this one. A. sp. Nanay was a name given to this undescribed cruzi-subcomplex species that entered the hobby as in 1998. Unfortunately Dr. Römer mixed the name up with A. orteagai and labeled this species as A. sp. Nanay in CA1.

As for A. caetei, most books discuss this species, but most describe a closely related species (A. cf. caetei Rotwangen/Red-cheeks). I haven't seen or heard of any caetei-complex species in the hobby for several decades. Whichever actual species it is (and it is not Rotwangen) it is a white-/clearwater species and relatively non-problematic breeders. Males are 'casually polygamous' like many regani-group species. I, personally, would rather have A. caetei forms than the A. sp. Nanay-like species.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Oke then can we know the color variation?
As I said earlier, to be sure that they are in fact A. sp. Nanay, they need to show their diagnostic features clearly (yellow pectorals and red/orange eyering), which they may not do in the tanks of the LFS because of less than optimal water parameters or other sources of stress. However, even if we know that they are A. sp. Nanay it may still be impossible to tell which form they are.
And is €22 overpriced for these fish ?
If they are wild caught the price is ok for me.

Bramgroet

I haven't seen or heard of any caetei-complex species in the hobby for several decades. Whichever actual species it is (and it is not Rotwangen) it is a white-/clearwater species and relatively non-problematic breeders.
So they are pretty rare. Personally i like the doll grown specimens of caetei more then the full grown pictures of the A. Sp. nanay. But how do I know if they are male or female?

MacZ

Two years ago a friend of mine kept a caetei form (in Germany). I don't know whether he still has them.
Echoes what I know. There are some in circluation here, so I'd not say they are super rare, but also nothing you find any day of the week. Usually in the 20-25€-range you have uncommon but not rare species.

anewbie

Several stores in europe claim to be selling them now like this one:

or maybe i'm totally confused.
and this one in usa:
--
Of course i know that at least one person is trying to sell blue-steel as caetei.

Bramgroet

Several stores in europe claim to be selling them now like this one:
That one is A. Sp. steel blue a man made species this fish does not occur in the wild.
or maybe i'm totally confused.
and this one in usa:
These ones are $180 and the fish on the picture look more like A. Cf. Agassizii

I am doubting which fish to get I could order apistogramma sp. D39 and Apistogramma sp. gillspot which I would both like but I don’t know if I would get both sexes. The lfs said we could ask them for a pair but that will not guarantee that it is a pair since I order them from 3 cm. I could take a gamble but I might want to order 3 or 4 which will get pretty expensive. I think I will wait cause there is not really a species I can take care of or want.

Cause I saw lineata but they need softer water same story for A.uaupesi, A. Iniridae and A. Elizabethae.

Bramgroet

I see now that I can get my hands on some definite males and females wild A. Bitaenita for €12. Could this work or is my water not soft enough? Also if it possible how many should I get?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Maybe I missed reading it somewhere, but what size is the aquarium? Yes, A. bitaeniata will live in your water values and might even successfully reproduce in them. Personally, I would go with A. caetei, but that's just me.

Bramgroet

Maybe I missed reading it somewhere, but what size is the aquarium?
It is a 200 liter, 100cm x 40cm x 50cm i have a spare 50 liter(50cm x 30cm x 30cm).
Yes, A. bitaeniata will live in your water values and might even successfully reproduce in them.
Well since i have a spare tank i might reproduce but that's not the main goal. I do want a couple or a harem (not sure if that's the right word in english) if they produce to much fry i might separate the male and females. I do have some (bad) pictures of the A. bitaenitiata from the lfs but you have a lot of A. cf. bitaenitiata so i dont know which species it is. I could ask for the catch location.

I also really like the A.caetei but the thing is I don't know if they have males and females I think that they only have males. How do I know if it's a female or a male A.caetei and the same for A. bitaeniata.

I will post some pictures below.

Bramgroet

Here

Attachments

• 158C77FD-1472-4886-95E7-61B20189E93A.jpeg
    158C77FD-1472-4886-95E7-61B20189E93A.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 276DC7C8-612E-4772-B78A-0E911ED916A9.jpeg
    276DC7C8-612E-4772-B78A-0E911ED916A9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 98
  • 28CA49F9-F0B6-42B9-A902-B300808514B6.jpeg
    28CA49F9-F0B6-42B9-A902-B300808514B6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 108
  • 3357B9E2-C208-4F39-871D-D392110FEAA8.jpeg
    3357B9E2-C208-4F39-871D-D392110FEAA8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 99

Jacobus

Then they are probably A. sp. Nanay.
As I suspect to have bought fish from the same LFS Bramgroet is referring to, and even from the same consignment of WC "ortegai's" he sent pictures of, I should like to bring in new pictures of one of these fish, from my own tank (100x40x45 cm). Only to get as close as possible to a definite ID of these fish. The pictures show the (or should I say a) male. The dominant fish. The other two I bought are hopefully females I hardly ever get to see as they are continually chased off by the "alpha-man". The pectoral fins have an orange base. The ventral fins are orange. The tail fin is also orange but somewahat less intensively coloured.
I am very curious what the forum's experts ID verdict is.

Attachments

• A. ortegai 1.jpg
    A. ortegai 1.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 78
  • A. ortegai 2.jpg
    A. ortegai 2.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 77
  • A. ortegai 3.jpg
    A. ortegai 3.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 81

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
It's for sure not a form of A. (cf.) ortegai but rather a cruzi-subcomplex species. If you read the thread, you see that the further conclusion that Bramgroet's fish are A. sp. Nanay mostly relies on the supposed catch location. However, if it is wrong (i.e. not Rio Nanay), these fish can also be some other cruzi-subcomplex species and unfortunately I'm not able to tell which one exactly.

Jacobus

Thanks a lot. Yes, when reading the entire thread, the catch location seems to be Rio Nanay. I'll try to check again.
When I see pictures of A. sp. nanay I don't see all that many similarities with this fish, though I realize that polychromism might explain that.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
When I see pictures of A. sp. nanay I don't see all that many similarities with this fish, though I realize that polychromism might explain that.
As I said, your fish (as well as Bramgroet's) can also be another cruzi-subcomplex species. The conclusion that it probably is A. sp. Nanay, mostly depends on the supposed catch location. However, we all know that the locations told to us by the trade are "not always" reliable.
Males of A. sp. Nanay are distinguished from other cruzi-subcomplex species mainly by their yellow pectoral fins in conjunction with orange/red rings around the eyes as shown in this picture (not mine):

69465646_2448511498529626_6238189961623896064_o.jpg

Does your male show these features at least sometimes?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jacobus, your fish look very much like the original import of A. sp. Nanay collected and imported by Julio Melgar in 1998. Like yours, the red eye ring is less prominent and the caudal spot is more rectangular.

Jacobus

Frank, Mike, thanks for your replies.
To start with the eyes: no, I cannot say I have seen a trace of yellow, orange,red, around them, ever, until now.
(the 3 of them are in my possession for just over 3 weeks now)
As for the pectoral fins: these are colourless. Only the base is orange.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
As Mike said, your fish are certainly similar to the original A. sp. Nanay. However, if your dominant male will never show yellow pectoral fins or red/orange eye-rings, I'm sceptical...
Here's a photo Mike kindly gave to me some time ago. It shows the original A. sp. Nanay with red eye-ring and yellow pectorals:

A.sp.NanayYellowWise1999.JPG

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….