• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hair Algae Question

Bainreese

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and recently stepped out of the dark-ages and back into the hobby. I need some help from some of you experts out there.
First the specifics.

80l(20g) tank, Sponge filter powered by Fluval Q.5. Coralife High Output T5 Dual Lamp, 62 watt combined(3w per gallon) 1 Actinic Bulb and 1 10,000k. I'm using R/O water and then using trace elements to replenish. 25% water changes every 3-4 days(I love to keep the fish healthy and with the sponge filter being my ownly filtration the higher water changes helps). 2" Sand gravel with 1oz per gallon of laterite mixed in with the bottom portion. Heat is 78.2 consistently with a 100w heater.
Tank is planted with 3 swords a couple java fern sprouts some dwarf tears(not sure if they will survive without added CO2), a small bit of java moss I'm hoping will take off. Light exposure is 8am-6pm daily set on digital timer.
No readable Ammonia, Nitrite, or Nitrate at the moment. We are gonig on 5 days of setup. I have 2 small 1inch fish in to help move the tank through the cycle. But with the water change volume I doubt I'll have much trouble in this area. Hardness is between 5-10gh. Chlorine 0ppm. Alkalinity is around 20kh. ph is right around 6.6. Perfect for my upcoming Apisto group I want to breed.
My issue? Hair algae on the driftwood.
photocvc.jpg

I have three questions. What is this hair algae type...if you can make it out? It has not spread anywhere else yet but I want to hit it fast so it doesn't. Should I remove the wood and scrub, buy an algae eater for the tank, both?
Lastly...I want to have an algae eater for the tank, but don't want that sucker to harm the breeding process/fry from my eventual Apistos. So what is my best purchase for something like this?

Thanks for your help!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It is too much light, the best bet would be to either shorten the photo-period or add some floaters. If you are in the UK, PM me and I'll send you some. Not sure about the units for hardness, but if they are German dKH/GH
your water is a bit hard, and I'd add less to your RO.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
I assumed he's measuring mg/L hardness and alkalinity, not German degrees. If alk is 20 degrees KH then I doubt pH would be 6.6.

To me the fuzz on the wood in that pic looks white, not green. If it is white/gray, then it is fungus (not algae) feeding on sap and organic matter in the wood, and it will go away after the sap is gone. If you dont like it in the tank, then soak the wood in a bucket until the fungus is gone. If it's green, then it's algae - follow Darrel's advice.

Bainreese

Hi,

Yes, sorry. The hardness is in ppm. Yes,it is white. Fungus apparently. If it will disappear eventually and not harm the plants, then I think I'll leave it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….