• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Guess who...

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The ACA convention was a blast. It was a lot fo fun putting faces to names AT LAST!!!

Here are a few of the 'local' guys from this forum.

Name tags make this way too easy.... your choices are:

Neil
Randall
dhm324
apistobob
mike wise

(one of the above is not pictured)

http://home.centurytel.net/TedDebJudy/FishImages/ACA 2004/mikewise.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/TedDebJudy/FishImages/ACA 2004/neil.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/TedDebJudy/FishImages/ACA 2004/randallandanton.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/TedDebJudy/FishImages/ACA 2004/bobwiltshire.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/TedDebJudy/FishImages/ACA 2004/david.jpg

Neil

Although I refuse to look at the nametags and can't tell who is who :wink: , one of those guys above gave a great talk on agassizii-group Apistogramma fish. I loved the specialization into a group (an excellent one, at that, with numerous newer and rare species). It was awesome. Thanks Mike, whatever you actually look like.

There is one person that I do recognize. In the third picture down the guy on the right, sitting next to that shady-looking character in the green shirt, is Dr. Anton Lamboj. He gave 3 excellent talks on westies. He is extremely knowledgeable, with suprisingly clear English, and a hobbyists passion for the fish. I loved meeting the man who is now at the fore-front of what I consider a reintroduction of Western African Cichlids into the current hobby.

Although Gary might well put the Kabosh on the posting of so many pics into one thread, if you missed the ACA, thanks to Ted you can now see what many of the Dwarf Cichlidiots that were there look like. Even if it is almost impossible to guess who is who :D 8O !

Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
he he, right click on the pics and look at the names of the files- no guessing needed with a little detective work.

nice to see what some of you guys look like.

rick

Randall

5 Year Member
Guess who?

Hello Ted,

Thank you so much for posting all those highly flattering photos here in the forum. 8O It does my heart much good to know that you are a far better hobbyist, writer and teacher than photographer. :wink: Well, at least Dr. Lamboj looks good.

To the forum:

Please note that a photo of our Ted Judy is conspicuously absent. For the record, just after meeting him for the first time, the forum's highly skilled hobbyist, master breeder and president of the Capital Cichlid Association, Francine Bethea, was overhead exclaiming that Ted Judy looks like an ichthyological Adonis.

Thank you.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Personally, out of the 7 ACA coventions I've attended, one of the high points has to be sitting in Neil and Ted's room and listening to Dr. Lamboj talk about his collecting experiences and observations of the behaviors of fish in the wild. How we maintain them in captivity vs. how they manage to survive on their own. Feeding habits, social structures, how you must go way off the road to find L. robertsi (not 600 meters, you must go 1 km upstream), and then only find a couple here and there. His enthusiasm was definately catching. He really is a hobbiest at heart.

I found Mike Wise hiding in the corner of the B.I.T.C.H mixer carrying around a 30 year old book that he seemed happy to have. I think he was trying to get psyched up for the judging he had to do.

Randall, the party animal. I'm trying to sneak out of the hotel at 2:30 Saturday morning and find him in the lobby still carrying on. Actually, it looked like he was trying to sneak away but kept getting called back.

It rained on me from Denver to Illinois on the way home. Extended to drive to 21 hrs!!! 8O But I did manage to find the energy to start setting tanks up...and now I have an up to date westie book to develope my wish list from!$!$!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My picture is missing because I was teh guy snapping the pictures... that and the CIA frowns on my image being circulated.

apistobob

5 Year Member
Sure enjoyed meeting you all in Denver. I agree that the West African talks were great but lets not overlook the incredible presentation given by our own Mike Wise. His explanation of the agassizii group was very interesting. I had never picked up on the blue spot at the lip hinge. Thanks Mike.

Like most of you I was able to bring home some great new fish. I am still trying to figure out all of the different males that were in the bag of apisto's I got at the ***** auction. uaupesi, pertensis, hippolytae & gibbiceps for sure but not a single female.

Mike, if you read this, you told me that one or two of the uaupesi types were actually a different fish. I'm afraid I didn't take notes. Can you repeat what you told me?

Bob

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bob,

I can't be sure, but a couple of the A. uaupesi looked like they each had a caudal spot separate from the lateral band. If so, they are a different species introduced as A. sp. Putzer/Cleaner. This species has the unusual behavior of acting as a cleaner fish for other small cichlids. If there had been any females in the bag, I'd have outbid everyone there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….