• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fish Id..

wethumbs

5 Year Member
It looks like a 2" TL fish, so I have to agree with Simon Morgan. The upper eye stripe definitely rules out Congochromis/Nanochromis. The body shape does not resemble any Pelvicachromis at that size. It is most likely Parananochromis as he has pointed the P. ornatus on p.173 in Lamboj's book.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I read the post that shows the pic. Not P. ornatus, since Gabon is not being collected for commercial export AS FAR AS I KNOW. If I am wrong somebody please get me the name of the company in Gabon exporting!!!!

Wild caught fish and well fed tank fish (even wild fish that have been in tanks for a while) look different. Considering the number of 'new' fish coming out of Guinea lately (funny.... ever two years a ton of new names appear from Guinea only to disappear off the lists pretty quickly), my money is still on Pel. roloffi, especially if they are coming from Guinea. That is the only type 2 krib from Guinea. The color and body shape are very consistent with P. roloffi.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
It just doesnt look like a Pel. roloffi. The red marking on the gill is too low for roloffi and it matches up with the P. ornatus in p173 of Lamboj. The additional eye stripe also is 1 too many for roloffi. If it were a roloffi, then it would be closer to a roloffi male. It also is missing the red highlight on top of the eye which all roloffi (male or female) exhibit.

Here is a picture of P. roloffi "Samba".
261517_1878131312108_1206021231_31638683_6181511_n.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll agree that there appears to be an extra stripe in front of the eye of the fish in the picture above, but that could be an artifact of the photograph. But you are starting to convince me it is not P. roloffi. The image-shack file name says nanochromis, and the yellow face is not something associated with Para. ornatus. I think its a congochromis. Compare it to this pic (Anton's) published here: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/nano_sabinae_pt1.php

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I see on the BCA forum that the fish is collected in Gabon. OK.. Parananochromis, most likely P. ornatus. I would really like to know who is exporting from Gabon now!

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Dont we all, maybe they can start sending all the Parananochromis species across the pond.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….