• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female changed sex!!???

dwarflover

Alright, so I have a trio of Orange Flash Apistos. Both of which females have spawned and raised fry 1-2 times before I put them in my 20 gal community.
They have not spawned in atleast 2 months.

In the past week or two, I've noticed one of my females has completly changed. Her fins filled out in orange, and the front is elongated and pointy like a males. Her tail is also filled in orange. Her body isn't very yellow anymore either. The male and her are tolerant of each other. I've seen him even display. She didn't have much of a reaction though...

Is it possible she could be changing to male?!? And why would this happen? I know it can be caused by a loss of a male, but, my male is still here and completly dominant over the whole tank.

If a pic is need I will post a comparison pic.

Thanks!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It's also possible that this female is getting old and taking on masculine features, sort of like fish menopause.
I think Mike is right. I've got 2 old female cacatuoides that have developed male features at the moment. I'm not sure quite how old they are, but it will be some-where in between 3 and 4 yrs old. I've never had a male live anything like that long.

This is an old "masculine" female from a few years ago.
old_female_web.jpg

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
To be absolutely sure that a true sex change occurred the female needs to have produced fry first. Then, after the change, the fish must be the only male with a known female (that has previously produced fry) and produce fry with her.

dwarflover

I will post a picture tonight. She's had fry before, so check.

But I'm really hoping just taking on male appearence. She was a great mom

dwarflover

Okay, heres some pictures. Male or Female??

These were taken when the light came on, so the line across her body is not visible, but yes, she/he has one.

8557231221_c651f0d38e_z.jpg

8557226361_c21e1ec634_z.jpg

8558330244_f3ed092653_z.jpg

8558322168_89c9da37dc_z.jpg

8558325958_d8801d3211_z.jpg

How she USED to look. if you look closely you can see tiny babies. theres two or three in the pic..kinda blurry.

8235219136_dbecac754d_z.jpg

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I agree with Mike.
Are you 100% certain this is the same female? You said you had two females. If you lost track of which one was the proven female that you previously bred it is possible the other was a latent male or masculinized old female.

dwarflover

100% both of my females have broods before. this one has had two. i know they both have had broods as they were in seperate tanks. with broods.

cichlidmac

Guys I know you probably won't believe this but it looks like my 1 year old female is turning male lol. She's a cacatuoides but she's getting bigger and becoming covered in the males checkered pattern and her dorsal rays are getting huge. I thought this was impossible buy now I'm wondering.
Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

cichlidmac

I'm thinking maybe its just something about the domestic strain. She's not old but she's definitely looking masculine and hasn't been interested in the male, their last spawn was months ago.

dwarflover

Same with me cichlidmac, Mine is about a year old, and randomly did this....So weird. Last spawn was three months ago or somewhere around there.

cichlidmac

My female.
uploadfromtaptalk1363658976352.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363658988610.jpg

And the male
uploadfromtaptalk1363659050735.jpg

Do you suppose her change is from domestic breeding? I mean she's really changing.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The masculine traits are completely separate from actual sex change. Many domestic color strains produce more masculine colors in females than those seen in wild specimens. Specimens of both sexes often develop longer fin extensions, too. We see such fin extensions especially on macmasteri-group species. There are only 2 ways to prove a true sex change: 1) a lone female and a lone male breed in an aquarium and produce viable fry; then the sex changed female is put in an aquarium only with another female who as produced viable fry and this pair produces viable fry and 2) dissection of a female who has produced fry, and then changed sex; if the sex organs are gonads then there has been a sex change. Any other methods leave sex change up for question.

cichlidmac

I understand that, its just wired she doesn't show her yellow shade at all anymore and seems to be getting bigger and she's only a year old.

dwarflover

Alright, hey everyone. Been a couple more weeks now. The female/male has now FULL ornge fins and are extended a little ways more. She/he has developed male behavior too. I have had my other female seperate from the male and the possible new male for about two weeks. I am now going to try and put the changed fish in with my other orange flash female. If they spawn, that will seal the deal as a sex change...Will post new pics later on how the fish has changed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….