• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female changed sex!!???

dwarflover

cichlidmac, I don't know if it's normal, but I've had several cases with it. Some of which picked back up in a couple of months of nothing. Maybe try changing the water parameters to induce spawning? Also post a few more pics of your pair, so we can get this figured out! Or consider buying another female?

Anyway, Since adding the..."male" I've seen emidiate response. The female colored up a lot brighter and seems to be more active (i think she was lonely) And has been doing the whole tail slapping think near the..er male. and flipping sometimes on her side. She's been trying to get him to come into either of the two caves I have... Male has followed her, and he displays his fins.

After taking pics I'm almost positive I have had a sex change happen....

By glancing at this pic, wouldn't you say this is male??
8614609357_9190ae853f_b.jpg

8614619905_e22129bb27_b.jpg

female trying to get him to come in
8615711890_cbd9b20b9b_b.jpg

again...

8615719558_785365c252_b.jpg

the female

8614623445_11bed1a521_b.jpg

SO what does everyone think. Sex change???

Yes, this fish was a female. 100% positive.

dwarflover

ADC Nederland, Interesting. But heres the thing, that not what happened for me. This was a proven female. She has had two batches of fry. My male is still alive....

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
ADC, don't be so skeptical. Sex change has been reported for many cichlid species, including apistos. Many of the reports are just alagoical, but some are based on controled tests. If you think sex change is impossible, what do you think of a Caquetaia spectablilis that reproduced as a female, her male died and then the fish - alone in the tank - laid viable eggs and raised fry months later? As Michael Crichton wrote in his novel "Jurassic Park, "Life finds a way".;)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You and everyone else should read Koslowski's discussion of sex change in A. sp. Wangenflecken in his book 'Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, Band 2: Apistogramma & Co.' Ingo explains what steps he used to verify that sex change actually happened. I agree with Tom, most 'sex changes' are actually sneaker males, but not all.

dwarflover

Will have to check that out. I know for sure this fish was not a sneaker male. It was my very first of six females to have fry, and I removed her and her babies to a seperate tank, as well with the second spawned female. Then the five females who were left, went to LFS. I could always tell them apart because the first female had orange in her fins, while the second did not, and was smaller in size, and always has been.

And then boom, this happens....

dwarflover

I GOT EGGS!!!! While I was at school today, they spawned and came home to find atleast 100 eggs...there are a ton. I will be moving the mom and eggs right away as there are snails in the tank, and I have countless accidents where the snails ate the eggs, and I am NOT losing these. If they are viable, not only will I have a proven sex change, I will have fry!!!

dwarflover

Well I moved her and her eggs. It took her awhile to find them again, but she found them and calmed down a bit....male is wondering where she is now.. hate doing this. ;)

eggs actually look a little white, but I remember her last batch and i thought, wow those are kinda white...looks like they are bad. But i left them anyway, and every single one hatched. so i have hope.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Good luck. I hope they hatch. There are 2 possibilities: 1) that there has been a sex change and you get fry or 2) both adults are females and spawned together, producing a large number of eggs but no viable fry.

dwarflover

Update: Eggs are still good. No white ones. They have turned pinkish-orangeish in color. Pretty sure these are good eggs. I'm think I have a sex change....Really excited for fry :D

dwarflover

1. And they are currently hatching as i type this! i took pics prior to hatching of the eggs and counted about 100, slightly over. will post pics of fry tomorrow. now i know its a sex change. awesome.

cichlidmac

This is very interesting and I would be more skeptical, however my female is either changing sex or growing into the largest female cac I've seen. Ill post pics soon.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

gerald

5 Year Member
Amazing ... and great work getting pics to support your observations. I'd love to see side-by-side pics of "him" before and after the sex change.

dwarflover

For Gerald,

shows the stages of the change side by side so you can see them

i know they don't look like the same fish, but I assure you they are.

8659220056_38e8966b90_z.jpg

Fry are not free swimming yet, but their eggs sacks are almost gone, so I'm guessing tomorrows the day:) So excited to see them swim for the first time.

Other pics from yesterday:

the mommy, sorry for dirty glass....i need to clean that....im just so lazy still a good pic of her though.
8658139585_5ff04f0470.jpg

8658139541_60ca5c5ecc.jpg

8658139495_b33c1cbe44.jpg

got right up to the camerae...probably wondering why I take so many pics.

8658139461_b9dde66afc.jpg

Brian Banks

Interested to see this series of posts as something similar has happened in my tanks. Last winter I obtained six young bitaeniata from a U.K. breeder. As they started to mature I had two females that bred, with eggs being observed. A further female bred under an azalea root and was defending this space vigorously from the large male. Both of these fish have taken on male characters. The female in this picture had eggs on three occasions, as recently as at the end of September/October. It did not have a rounded tail, none of them did, but the spines on the dorsal fin have started to extend and the colour pattern is more like the males - it is the middle fish in the group of three.

Attachments

• 6A38C45D-594B-4123-A2B2-25341B91D594.jpeg
    6A38C45D-594B-4123-A2B2-25341B91D594.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 7B8C6978-685E-4B06-A479-02A2E14A6226.jpeg
    7B8C6978-685E-4B06-A479-02A2E14A6226.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 241

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….