• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do apisto tanks need to be covered?

ronv

5 Year Member
I think I have just learned the answer to this question. I just bought several apisto and west African species at the Atlanta Aquarium Club fall auction a couple of weekends ago (had a great time!!!). This morning a female A. pertensis greeted me at the front glass of the tanks next door to the tank she was in yesterday!!! I'm grateful that she is not on the floor! The reason I didn't want covers is because my lighting is from 4' flouresent "shop lights" hanging above the tanks. I'm afraid a glass or plexiglass cover would limit the light for the plants I am trying to grow. So my question is... do you all have covers on your apisto tanks???

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would cover all the Apisto tanks to keep the fish in them. The other option is to lower the water level in the tank to help keep them from jumping out and to still alow for maximum light input.

If you want to get creative build a picture frame cover that goes around the edges of the top of the tank and only covers 2-3" of the water surface. Most fish jump at the corners/edges of a tank by swimming into the side of the glass and working their way up. By covering the most likely jumping spots (the corners and the edges in general) you greatly reduce the risk of having fish leave their home when you aren't looking.

Jeff

Arcadianred

5 Year Member
I cover all my Apisto tanks but have still lost fish to a 1-2cm gap.Worst jumpers I have had have been Atahualpa and Espei pencils.Some Apistos are less likely but better to be safe than sorry. A dried up fish on the floor isn't the best thing to open the fish house to!

Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….