• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus

nicos apistos

5 Year Member
Hi, I am keeping apistos and such and every time I go to my LFS i see dicrossus.I really like the Maculatus and was wondering if anyone sells any colurfull strains of them. What is the most colurfull kind?

Thanks, Jose

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As far as I know, there are not domestic color enhanced forms of any Dicrossus species. All 5 known species have their subtle charm, but none can be considered brightly colored. For me, the most colorful is probably D. foirnei, aka D. sp. Rio Negro., with D. maculatus a close second.

nicos apistos

5 Year Member
Mike,
Do you know anyone selling the Rio Negro Dicrossus?? If so who??
Take a look at these pics I found browsing the web .
imgres

link on pg.5 is the maculatus
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4096682

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
D. foirnei is rarely imported into the US. They aren't commonly collected because they are found in more out-of-the-way places. This is the same reason we see few wild imports of many Rio Negro dwarf cichlids (Ivanacara adoketa, Apisto. elizabethae, Apaucisquamis, A. mendezi, etc.). Most of these that are available commercially are domestically bred specimens. Even domestic specimens are rare because of their breeding difficulty.

Erik82

5 Year Member
I 'am not sure, but if I remember correctly next month there will be a article in the magazine "Amazonas" about one of the two new Dicrossus species described in september this year (see here). It's about breeding D. warzeli. I am looking forward to this article.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….