• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help ID + sex

Matlevy

Hi,

Anyone able to help me ID which Apistos i have?
And also which sex they are? After spending a lot of time researching, i must admit i am still not 100% sure...

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 30

MacZ

Domestic A. macmasteri. "image0.jpg" is inconclusive, I am leanning towards female though (and then it definitely is a domestic strain), "imarge1.jpg" is a male.

Matlevy

Added a few more pictures,
they definately do get a long just fine, no agression towards each or any other fish in the tank

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 26
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 26

Matlevy

Thanks both of you. I’ll keep an extra open eye on them going forward and see how they do if it turns out ive got double males. :)

Matlevy

The big one has been chasing the other constantly today. I’m feeling his stress a bit, thinking this is not good.

MacZ

It indeed isn't good. The tank looks small and barren and not really suitable for keeping more than a single one of these fish.
Care to show a picture of the whole tank and tell us smething about it, like the whole stocking?

Matlevy

Lido 120 (33 gal)

Big sponge filter
Fluval 207 with biohome + purigen

Fish:

2 very small Angel fish max 2 inch each
6 Rainbow praecox, very small
3 guppy mix (1 male 2 female)
1 red bristle acistrus male
3 very small siamese algae eaters

And the two Apistos

Lots of caves / hiding places
Water is crystal clear
Tetra test strips shows everything is perfect

Attachments

• IMG_2927.jpeg
    IMG_2927.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2932.jpeg
    IMG_2932.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

MacZ

As I suspected... The tank has very unfortunate dimensions for most of your fish it's too high. A lot of unused space. When it comes to horizontal space requirements you're basically overstocked. The algae eaters, the rainbowfish and the angelfish will outgrow it at one point.

And sorry to say so, but... I see no hiding spots, I can see basically everything in that tank except what's behind the Filter sponge. Cichlids use caves mainly for breeding or if there's danger from above. But for inner species aggression... they are not helping. Open spaces are fair game, the bigger one surely claims basically the whole tank as territory. It takes sight blocks to allow the fish to evade each other. And we're not talking singular rocks or pieces of wood the fish can look around. A sight block has to be from glass to glass. The fish should not be able to look through under it and it should cover about 10-15cm right above the substrate.
There are some other general problems in my opinion, but I think that would take it too far right now.

If I were you I'd return the smaller Apistogramma, research the other fish and rethink and reshuffle the stocking.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Lots of caves / hiding places
OK. I'm not trying to be funny, or pick a fight etc. but as @MacZ says is right, this isn't a suitable tank for Apistogramma.

Have a look at the <"Seasoned Tank Time"> concept.

Personally I'm not a very good fish-keeper, but via my own experience and talking to a variety of scientists, microbiologists, good fish-keepers and planted tank enthusiasts, I've tried <"to develop techniques"> that de-skill fish keeping.

If you like they differentiate <"the good stuff">, the coffee, from the froth.

Basically all the essential life support is carried out by the tank environment, with limited intervention (some water changes, live food addition etc) from the tank owner.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….