• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crenicara latruncularium

madrededios

Dear all,

Any of you that have been to my wildperu (one word) Facebook page have seen a photo of this fish laying in my hand. Since every effort to post the photo here has been thwarted by the software that runs this site, you will have to go there to see it. (no, I don't want a photobucket account, thanks! :O) )

My question is: this male is a good 4" SL. I am told that it is most closely related to C. punctulata. Does any other species in this genus get this large? If there is a link on the www for the original description, can someone show it here?

Thanks,

Brian Perkins
www.wildperu.net

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Presently there are only 2 species of Crenicara. I wouldn't be surprised if in the (distant) future that C. puntulatum is separated into different species since it is so widespread, occuring not only in the Amazon system but the Guianas, too. I know of no confirmed locations in Peru for C. latruncularium, which occurs in the Rio Guaporé system of southern Brazil and northeastern Bolivia. C. punctulatum is known to occur in the Madre de Dio system (Río Tambopata). Are you certain that what you collected is truly C. latriculatum? So far as I know, the original description of C. latrunculatum is not available on the internet (at least for free). Here is the reference: Kullander, S.O. & W. Staeck. 1990. Crenicara latruncularium, a new cichlid species from Brazil and Bolivia. Cybium 14: 161-173. Check the Cybium site to see if they sell PDF copies.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
You should be able to post pictures now. I will send a note to Josh to see what it is up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….