• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cichlid company for apistos

-anne-

5 Year Member
Which would make better company for apistos, Anomalochromis thomasi or Laetacara dorsigerus?
I'm going to give up either of them and add some apistos instead to my 47.2 x 21.7 x 16.1 inches (121x55x41 cm) tank.
Ph is quite high, 7,2.
Which apistogramma species do you recommend?
Can I take more than one species?
How many apistos can I take?

farm41

5 Year Member
Hi Anne,

I have no experience with the Anomalochromis, but I have some Laetacara curviceps in with apistos right now, they get along OK.

Your 4' tank will be great for the L. dorsigera and at least a trio of cacatoiudes, or borelli. Or a pair of hoignei, and a pair of borelli.

What apistos do you have available?

Randall

5 Year Member
Dear Anne,

Matt's Apistogramma suggestions sound good to me, especially the A. borellii and A. cacatuoides. Keeping them with either Anamalochromis or Laetacara spp. should be just fine.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

-anne-

5 Year Member
Thank you for your advices. I think that I'll take a trio of cacatuoides. I already have borelliis (and pertensis) in my two smaller tanks with lower ph.

We have quite many Apistogramma species available here in Finland, the most common are borellii, cacatuoides and agassizii, then macmasteri, njisseni and panduro. I have also seen trifasciata, hoignei, hongsloi, viejita and some other species.
I would like to try trifasciata. Is it a good idea?

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hello!

I think that Ap. Trifasciata is a good choice if you are looking for a new species. Quite small and relatively peaceful. Can be a nice companion to at least the Borelliis, since they are living sympatrical in their habitats.

Some other species who doesn´t care so much about the Ph, are Commbrae, Resticulosa and Caeti. They are quite easy to breed also.

Best regards/ Per

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….