• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cacatuoides and snails

lecleir

hi all,

i have harem of cacatuoides in my tank, and have a little poolsnail-infestation.

My former male caca have had one of those snails stuck in his mouth. I had to pull it out and it left his mouth open for a day or so.

Now my new male caca had also a snail in his mouth. He sucked the inside of the snail this deep in his mouth that the snailshell was cutting the area around his mouth. it seemed that he couldnt release the snail, as he was sitting on the ground and not moving.

So i catched him with a net, and pulled it out of his mouth. He has little wounds around his mouth.

Anyone had this same experience with caca's?

is it normal?

Melanochromis

Some of my larger cacatuoides and baenschi will eat snails whenever they have a chance. But I haven't seen any shell stuck in the mouth though.

There were, however, a couple of times a caca tried to swallow an adult cherry shrimp and it got stuck there for hours. I though I would lose the fish but they always managed to swallow the shrimp eventually.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
There were, however, a couple of times a caca tried to swallow an adult cherry shrimp and it got stuck there for hours.
I'm surprised at this, I've started feeding my spare cherry shrimps to A. cacatuoides, and even the sub-adults can deal with a full size Red Cherry Shrimp.

cheers Darrel

lecleir

Some of my larger cacatuoides and baenschi will eat snails whenever they have a chance. But I haven't seen any shell stuck in the mouth though.

There were, however, a couple of times a caca tried to swallow an adult cherry shrimp and it got stuck there for hours. I though I would lose the fish but they always managed to swallow the shrimp eventually.

how do you think they eat them? i had some clea helena's in my tank, but i have put them in my shrimp tank few weeks ago to clean the snails there.

But i keep finding empty snailhouses in my main tank, so i would guess the caca's suck them out of there house?

Cos other fish in tank cant be the snail eaters: neontetra's, corydora panda, bleheri and 2 ancistrus doliptheros.

Melanochromis

Hi all,
I'm surprised at this, I've started feeding my spare cherry shrimps to A. cacatuoides, and even the sub-adults can deal with a full size Red Cherry Shrimp.

cheers Darrel

I tend to raise cacatuoides fry in tanks with cherry shrimps and wean them to prepared food very early on. Perhaps because of this, many of the caca I raised are not eager to go after adult shrimps at all. Believe it or not I even had an adult male caca who didn't even eat baby cherry shrimps!! At one point, tiny shrimps were everywhere in his tank. But I know this is a rare case. He probably had bad eyesight or something.

And this is not the case for the caca I got from outside. They are usually very vicious and will try to finish off all the cherries in my tank.

But i keep finding empty snailhouses in my main tank, so i would guess the caca's suck them out of there house?.

That happened to many of my cacatuoides and baenschi tanks too.

jakeowen

5 Year Member
I have had apistos that will eat snails. Never saw one get stuck, although, I did have a wild caca who tried to eat an oto. It was stuck halfway in his mouth for a few days. I also had to catch him, and pull it out. Caca was fine afterwards, oto - not so good.

I really liked my wild caca come to think of it. I need to get some more.

Gwendal

I use to have a big A. cacatuoides that eat snails. But not only cacatuoides, I think that all the Apistos with big size can eat snails.
Also they eat cherrys and other neocaridinas.

1 saludo

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….