• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

buying apistos

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thats a good idea but I bet you will find it hard for everyone to co-ordinate the time. Another subject--At ACA Uwe brought this nice little fish to me and Mike--A Sp Piexito. Looks a little like vielflecken, I am now working on the 5th spawn from them and they should be ready pretty soon! How are yours doing Mike???????????

inexorable

5 Year Member
collecting

I would love to go collecting! I think about it all the time. Finding a good time to get away would be very difficult or me. Also, I got really upset when they started not allowing passengers to carry on any liquids on airplanes. I had daydreams of some idiot airport security personnel demanding me to hand over my prized wild caught fish. I know you can have them shipped, but I read a few storries about how they can arrive home late and dead in one big bag in a nasty, horror slurry/chowder. :eek:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
apistodave said:
Thats a good idea but I bet you will find it hard for everyone to co-ordinate the time.

Time is no problem since you would have to go during the dry season or not go at all! Finding contacts that would ship fish from Peru is no problem; Brazil is next to impossible right now. Hopefully Dr. Chao can convince the Brazilian government that eco-tourist/fish collectors will be good for the economy of the Amazon and not a threat.

Another subject--At ACA Uwe brought this nice little fish to me and Mike--A Sp Piexito. Looks a little like vielflecken, I am now working on the 5th spawn from them and they should be ready pretty soon! How are yours doing Mike???????????

I have a group of the same fish about 12 cm/½" SL right now. It is a rather pretty little fish. It has all of the bright red, yellow and blue colors of A. sp. Vielfleck/Multi-spot, but without the dark blotches on the head and flanks. It appears to be an form intermediate between A. sp. Vielfleck and A. sp. Xingu. Uwe told me it is reported to be from the Rio Purus. I don't believe it anymore than I belive that A. sp. Itaparaná is from the Purus. It won't be the first time some collector has given bad information. I'm fairly certain that A. sp. Itaparaná is identical to A. sp. Chao from the Rio Xingu and that A. sp. aff. Peixoto, like A. sp. Vielfeck & A. sp. Xingu, comes from the same system.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Time is no problem since you would have to go during the dry season or not go at all! Finding contacts that would ship fish from Peru is no problem; Brazil is next to impossible right now. Hopefully Dr. Chao can convince the Brazilian government that eco-tourist/fish collectors will be good for the economy of the Amazon and not a threat.

now that's valuable information. Thanks Mike.
what about Bolivia, Columbia? Those also seem to be interesting places for us.
and about shipping - "no problem" means that you know the right people or that it is possible to arrange while being there?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Undoubtedly Peru is the easiest place to collect and ship fish. The infrastructure is well established. Sadly, Colombia is a rather dangerous place for Western collectors right now. Bolivia is easier, but you need to set up your own itinerary and logistics. Jeff Cardwell has collected there in recent years, but now seems to be steering clear of the country until the politics settle down. The same is true for Venezuela - at least for Americans.

Rain man

5 Year Member
If Only

Dave we have been talking about these fish out of europe for a long time this looks like some of the best, I thought Germany was king of apistos!!

Phil

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wellllllll if you look at the fish on the Japanese site you will see at the bottom some fish from a guy named Wilhelm. He is my good friend Frank Wilhelm who is in a little town in Germany, you see German fish are so good the Japanese buy them all! All of the fish on that site that Say from "Deutsche", are also from Frank. In my hatchery I have Franks Triple Red cacatuides mixed in with mine and I also have his Orange Flash mixed in with mine. Most of the rest of the fish on the site are wild so its a moot point, they pay the price they get the fish.

drudnick

5 Year Member
Well I hope you bring some of his fish in. I have been wondering how I was going to get ahold of his fish for awhile now.

Dave

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I'd most definately be interested as well. I'm about to rebuild the fishroom in the new house (3 years is long enough without a fishroom) and I'd almost take out a second mortgage for another attempt at the adoketa. Just as I got them figured out I had to tear everything down for the move and they didn't acclimate to their new surroundings very well...

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hmm... to be frank, for getting fish from RVA, i doubt if it's a good idea
for friends in the US. RVA certainly has good quality fish but the price is very very high. I believe that it may be more practical for you to contact the
exporters/collectors in South America directly. Of course, you are not expecting to pay at a very low price but i am 100% sure that what you pay is much much much lower than that from RVA...

spoxy

5 Year Member
apistodave said:
Wellllllll if you look at the fish on the Japanese site you will see at the bottom some fish from a guy named Wilhelm. He is my good friend Frank Wilhelm who is in a little town in Germany, you see German fish are so good the Japanese buy them all! All of the fish on that site that Say from "Deutsche", are also from Frank. In my hatchery I have Franks Triple Red cacatuides mixed in with mine and I also have his Orange Flash mixed in with mine. Most of the rest of the fish on the site are wild so its a moot point, they pay the price they get the fish.
:cool: Hey Dave it's sammy i'm going to amsterdam this friday do you know anyone over there that can hook me up with apisto's and nannacara by the way I've got a pair of chao hope they will do it again and not die

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
blueblue said:
Hmm... to be frank, for getting fish from RVA, i doubt if it's a good idea
for friends in the US. RVA certainly has good quality fish but the price is very very high. I believe that it may be more practical for you to contact the
exporters/collectors in South America directly. Of course, you are not expecting to pay at a very low price but i am 100% sure that what you pay is much much much lower than that from RVA...

Not if you know someone

spoxy

5 Year Member
Right back at ya!
so Dave what are the latest News on those fish my grill is hot and ready:biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….