• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding signs

ApistoLewis

Hi guys, I think my female has chosen a cave, she’s built a mound of sand in front of it so only she can get in and nipping any fish that gets close. She’s also doing this weird shimmying dance in front of the male trying to lure him towards her cave. Will she have laid the eggs and wanting the male to fertilise them or does she only lay the eggs whilst they’re being fertilised? He doesn’t really seem interested, he’s not following her

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi !!
My experience is female Apistos only "dig" sand after spawning, not before or during ..so I`d say fertilization has already been completed.. ( often the female can be seen having a slimmer stomach/bellly after spawning..)
That also probably explains the behaviour of the male.. "His 1st job is done" and now she is checking if he is still on her side.. ..and also another thing.. showing the belly is often a sign of submission for many animals..
In this case the male is supposed to guard the larger territory, so the female is controlling and encouraging him to do so by behaving like she does !!!
From what I know Apisto females guarding eggs or fry are in a "defense mode" mainly controlled/driven by hormones they can not stop, so they often act very aggressively.. Males often then (visably )"shy away" and focus on defending the territory..
Good luck !!

ApistoLewis

Oh really! That’s very cool thank you! she has gone a bit yellow but I’ve read they go an intense yellow but she only has a tinge of yellow. She’s chosen a cave in back corner and only she’s defending it, the male isn’t interested, he’s just chilling on the other side of the tank lol.

ApistoLewis

How long does it usually take for their eggs to hatch?
Also, Sunday is usually my water change day, can I still do water changes or would that stress her out and cause her to eat the eggs?

MickeM

5 Year Member
It will probably take 2-3 days until hatching starts.. and approx. 7-10 days until free swimming.. but females often (not always) prefer to change and move into another cave during this period... so you may see some cool actions if this is the case.. ( her preparing cave/hidingplace no2.. and her moving "wiggler eggs", taking them one by one in her mouth )
I would avoid doing waterchanges.. that often kickstart hormones in males (and in "ready-to-spawn" females) and can/will lead to increased aggressions between these two already involved..
Risk for her eating OK eggs is slim, she has already invested a lot in these eggs so her instinct to fight for them is huge !!.. unless they die or can`t develope "as planned"..

Last edited:

ApistoLewis

It will probably take 2-3 days until hatching starts.. and approx. 7-10 days until free swimming.. but females often (not always) prefer to change and move into another cave during this period... so you may see some cool actions if this is the case.. ( her preparing cave/hidingplace no2.. and her moving "wiggler eggs", taking them one by one in her mouth )
I would avoid doing waterchanges.. that often kickstart hormones in males (and in "ready-to-spawn" females) and can/will lead to increased aggressions between these two already involved..
Risk for her eating OK eggs is slim, she has already invested a lot in these eggs so her instinct to fight for them is huge !!.. unless they die or can`t develope "as planned"..
Oh I hope I do! They’re so interesting, really enjoying having them.
Yeah that’s what I thought, I’ll skip the water change this week then, don’t want to stress her out. This will be her first spawn so I’m not going to be too surprised if she does eat the eggs, I saw that it can take them a few tries to get it right.
Only issue I’m worried about is that the male isn’t guarding the cave or territory at all, it’s a 180L tank and he doesn’t seem bothered, he’s at the other side of the tank near another cave. Is this normal?

anewbie

Hi !!
My experience is female Apistos only "dig" sand after spawning, not before or during ..so I`d say fertilization has already been completed.. ( often the female can be seen having a slimmer stomach/bellly after spawning..)
That also probably explains the behaviour of the male.. "His 1st job is done" and now she is checking if he is still on her side.. ..and also another thing.. showing the belly is often a sign of submission for many animals..
In this case the male is supposed to guard the larger territory, so the female is controlling and encouraging him to do so by behaving like she does !!!
From what I know Apisto females guarding eggs or fry are in a "defense mode" mainly controlled/driven by hormones they can not stop, so they often act very aggressively.. Males often then (visably )"shy away" and focus on defending the territory..
Good luck !!
Isn't this species dependent with regards to male/female interaction as in some species the male will help raise the frys ?

anewbie

Okay mate, so it’s normal behaviour by the male in my case?
Yes; unfortunately. I think some people have reported better harmony with cockatoo but it is not uncommon for the female to chase the male away when she has fry; and he will chase her away when she doesn't want to breed. Never any harmony.

ApistoLewis

Yes; unfortunately. I think some people have reported better harmony with cockatoo but it is not uncommon for the female to chase the male away when she has fry; and he will chase her away when she doesn't want to breed. Never any harmony.
Yeah it’s looking like she’s going to be a single mum haha, there’s no aggression between them. It’s the female trying to grab the males attention by going on it’s side and doing a little shimmy. The males just not interested lol. I’m not even sure the eggs are fertilised.

ApistoLewis

Well her babies have hatched! You was right, she did move them to another cave, they’re so tiny! Any that wander outside she gobbles them up and takes them back inside lol. The male is also doing his fatherly duty now and patrolling the outer territory! It’s so cool to watch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….