• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding dividers

Kenshin

5 Year Member
i was just wondering those of you who breed the more aggressive apisto's or have a particular pair that proceed to beat the piss out of eachother what do you use for dividers? i have a panduro female that killed 2 others and im now tracking down a male for her but am a little hesitant to just throw him in with her i remember reading somewhere that if you put a pot close to a divider he will just fan his milt in and fertalise? do any of you breed in this manor?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've done it, but not because the fish were aggressive. I used a divider to separate a pair of A. agassizii that I wanted to give a rest from breeding. They had other plans. The female chose a limb near the partition (needlepoint fabric), and the pair proceeded to spawn and the female raised the resulting fry. The next time I made sure that the divider had no spawning sites near it.

Kenshin

5 Year Member
mike you got any photo's of the dividers you use? so you think when i eventualy track down a male panduro throw him in and see what happens?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just buy a standard tank partition. The plastic will get brittle and eventually fall apart. Then I use normal plastic (nylon?) cross-stitch fabric that can be found at any sewing shop to replace the plastic panel in the braces.

A. panduro is a member of the nijsseni-group. As a general rule nijsseni-group species are very choosy about partners. Any fish not found suitable is driven out of the fish's territory. If they find a suitable partner then they usually form a strong pair bond. If not, they tend to trash each other. I usually try to get more than a pair of nijsseni-group species and let them decide with whom to pair. You can buy only one and try your luck. It's your choice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….