• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best way to breed.

M

MHunt

Hi all,

I have a pair of A caciatores.

What would be the first step in encouraging them to breed.

I have them in a well planted 17Gal community tank. They share the tank with 6 neon tetras, 3 male guppies, 1 platy, 1 dwarf gourami.

My nasty stats (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) are all ok, and my pH is usualy about 6.5 to 7.

The tank setup also has a few plant pots and some bogwood with a cave underneath.

Any Ideas would be welcomed!

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

Encouraging them to breed would not be that hard... feed them generously with frozen BS or bloodworns, alive food is even better. Also making big water changes ( 50 %) helps, if she's ready that comes quick.

Nevertheless, that will be hard to keep the fry in a community tank, neons are very efficient predators.

ProF

M

MHunt

ProF_FR said:
Hi,

Encouraging them to breed would not be that hard... feed them generously with frozen BS or bloodworns, alive food is even better. Also making big water changes ( 50 %) helps, if she's ready that comes quick.

Nevertheless, that will be hard to keep the fry in a community tank, neons are very efficient predators.

ProF

Thanks for the tips, i'll try them this week, i need to do a water change soon anyway. For better results would you recomend a separate tank, would a 5 gal be big enough for the pair, and perhaps a few non predatory fish? What would you use as dither fish apart from neons? Harlequins perhaps?

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

I personnally always recommend a separate tank to breed them with better results, but thats only my point of view ....

I'd never try to breed them in 5 gal tank, even if that could be possible, i love to peep at their behavior and the more space they have, the more you see interressant things.

ProF

M

MHunt

I was thinking of a small planted cube. I guess if i went for a 10 gal i'd get better results, just i'm struggling for space at the moment so my MTS will have to wait!

AdamT

5 Year Member
I would say 5 ga is a little small to get a pair of apistos breeding, though some have done it.

Personally I've got some that breed in a community tank, and then I siphon out 15-30 of the babies when they become free swimming. I raise 'em up on BBS in a 5 ga.

Of course, they outgrow the 5ga before they are of a size to sell, so you might still have space problems in the long run.

-Adam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….