• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner to cichlids in general

Graydon

Hello, I'm new here. Extremely new. I've been really wanting to get into cichlids, and after months of thinking of what will be compatible with my current setup, I've finally settled on dwarf cichlids.

Now, I have some questions about my current setup, and what species of Apistogramma I should purchase as a beginner.

Here's the setup:
75 gallon
Marineland Penguin 350 filter
300 watt aqueon heater

Fish currently:
1 Common Angelfish (very small)
3 young Silver Dollars
3 Scissortail Rasboras
2 Sterbai Corydoras
1 Rainbowshark
1 Blue Gourami

I was wondering what species of apisto I should buy. I am also very interested in rams as well. Also, how would Kribs fair in this tank?

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your replies!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the apisto forum! I think you would do better with the Common Krib (Pelvicachromis pulcher) than an apisto species. They will do better with the (eventually) larger, moderately aggressive fish already in your tank.

RustedKnight

Welcome to the apisto forum! I think you would do better with the Common Krib (Pelvicachromis pulcher) than an apisto species. They will do better with the (eventually) larger, moderately aggressive fish already in your tank.

Welcome! :D

and I agree with the above, Kribensis would get on nicely with the above.
Proven by my mother, was viewing her stunning kribensis just an hour ago, in her tank with angels, tiger barbs, silver sharks, dwarf guorami's, cardinal tetra's and corydoras trilineatus. Oh and a fat goldfish.
(and I did tell her that her stocking was questionable, but I can't argue over her tank, it's been problem free for 2 years)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….