• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Automatic feeder

hengeli

5 Year Member
Hi folks

Will be away for 2 weeks and have ordered Ycozy branded automatic feeder from amazon, was wondering if anyone has tried it and if its good(web reviews on amazon suggest its the best feeder out there) Its retailing for A$40 delivered for 1 unit. I will half fill it with Hikari micro granules to feed my apistogramma fry which are close to a month old. I have not fed the hikari granules to them yet but hope they will feed on it. Will update on my findings when I receive the product.

Link to feeder:

MacZ

Make sure the fish eat that food before setting up the autofeeder.

But: What's the stocking density? And how is the tank set up. If you have enough leaf litter and infusoria in relation to tank size and number of fish you might not have to use the autofeeder at all.

hengeli

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply mate - I currently have month old fry that number close to 50 and the 2 foot tank (approx 60 litres) that house half the number of fry for now, the rest of the fry(25) are in another tank but will be transferred to main 2 footer for grow out and this tank will be the one the feeder will sit in.

I have close to a bare bottom tank, hardly any plants except for java moss and a piece of driftwood, water is stable as tank has been running for 6 months, which is why I'm planning to order feeder for when I'm away. Thanks for reading!

MacZ

Ok, so active feeding is unavoidable.
Do you have someone to do waterchanges in the meantime? The stocking density is quite high and it might be too early to get them on dry foods. I see a risk of losses.
Make sure they really eat the stuff, by starting them on it immediately. And maybe set the feeder to only one feeding every 48 hours to keep water quality in acceptable ranges.
Leaf litter and a pothos plant may work as precautions, too.

xSparkleZ

Out of curiosity, how did the feeder work out?
I'm on the market for another feeder and leaning towards the Fish Mate F14 since I can portion it out for each feeding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….