• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Artificially raising apistos

F

fishboy

Ok so now i found another spawn, i have decided i would artificially raise them. Much easier than waiting for them to learn there parental behavior. Anyway now they will be in a two gallon jug in the same tank water as they were laid. I have a air stone going near the eggs but not actually touching them. Is this correct? Should i put another air stone in for more water movement? The tank is kept at 82 F, should it be lower temp?
8)

Thanks,
Daniel

Neil

fishboy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Sound pretty good to me. You might want to add an anti-fungal agent, like meth. blue or acriflavin. But I don't think any more water movement will be needed than what you have right now.
What species is it that you have a spawn from?
Neil

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Yeah, an anti-fungal is a good idea. Also, you might want to try and get the temp down a bit. Depending on species you may end up with all males.
i usually get a good sex ratio at about 77 degrees. I wish diplotaenia would follow that rule!

Rich

F

fishboy

They are cacatoides. I have just started a bbs culture and i will get some meth blue maybe tommorrow.

Thanks

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Someone here touched on a subject I wonder about sometimes, that is learned parenting behavior. I dont think they do learn to be good parents from their mom and dad. I think it is not learned at all I think it is an evolutionary adaptation that is genetically implanted. Some studys tend to bear this out.

Neil

Hey Dave!
I tend to agree, but I also think that a behavioral element that is genetically predisposed can be triggered or enhanced by environmental conditions and stimuli. Parenting schemes may be aided, not so much by copied behavior, but more by an almost subliminal security that they receive under the appropriate care of their parents. If they have to immediately have their guard up and fend for themselves, it may show up in their increased willingness to sacrifice their fry for their own security or needs. Rather than the other way around. Obviously this is all hypothetical on my part, but an interesting subject.
Neil

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Some studies have been done in Germany Neil but I dont have the results, just the word of mouth stuff. I will try to get more info, this is an interesting subject

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….