• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these still juveniles? When will they be sexually mature?

ApistoLewis

Hi I’m new to Apistos, I’ve had these Cacatuoides for a couple of weeks now. I’m pretty sure it’s a male and female but I’m just wondering if they’re still juveniles. How long does it take for them to become mature?
Has anyone got any tips for them?

Attachments

• 50121CED-116D-4DEE-BADB-C0D100DD1A8D.jpeg
    50121CED-116D-4DEE-BADB-C0D100DD1A8D.jpeg
    623.9 KB · Views: 148
  • F861000E-C7B5-4D18-94E8-1A7E92427BEA.jpeg
    F861000E-C7B5-4D18-94E8-1A7E92427BEA.jpeg
    658.7 KB · Views: 149

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hi I’m new to Apistos, I’ve had these Cacatuoides for a couple of weeks now. I’m pretty sure it’s a male and female but I’m just wondering if they’re still juveniles. How long does it take for them to become mature?
Has anyone got any tips for them?
Probably both male?

Cheers Darrel

MacZ

They are young but not juveniles. One fish is for sure a male, the other... hard to tell. Especially with domestic strains like these.

Would someone mind answering the question I actually asked please
This forum has a relatively small number of users that are present regularly plus in many countries people are on holidays right now. Sometimes it can take days until you get a reaction from somebody. Also, especially for A. cacatuoides we have dozens of threads with people asking the exact same question. Use the search function, read opinions posted there and compare to your fish. You might be quicker doing your own research.

ApistoLewis

They are young but not juveniles. One fish is for sure a male, the other... hard to tell. Especially with domestic strains like these.

This forum has a relatively small number of users that are present regularly plus in many countries people are on holidays right now. Sometimes it can take days until you get a reaction from somebody. Also, especially for A. cacatuoides we have dozens of threads with people asking the exact same question. Use the search function, read opinions posted there and compare to your fish. You might be quicker doing your own research.
Thanks! I’ll post another picture of her later, I’m pretty sure she’s a female though. How young would you say they were? Too early for them to be breeding?

Yeah I did try and search it up at first but couldn’t find anything. I wasn’t fussed about the waiting it was someone answering something that I didn’t ask then ignoring what I did ask haha

MacZ

I can't speak for Darrel, but some here are a bit jaded getting the same questions about domestic A. cacatuoides over and over again, at least 3-4 times a week. Everybody has a day when they aren't willing to explain much, as it feels redundant people still ask. Most threads interesting to you will be in the subforum for IDs and sexing, also many threads titled "New to Apistos" and similar titles will be exactly what you're looking for.

How young would you say they were?
I have no clue. What size are they? (Centimeters if possible.)

Too early for them to be breeding?
Depends on your answer to my question above.
Just one thing, and don't take this as me talking you out of something, breed them ONCE and then move on to another species.
This type of domestic Apistogramma is ubiquitous and it is very easy to flood your local market with them. They are already from mass production, genetics are weak and they are easy to breed. Ok to get your hands wet in Apisto breeding, but get rid of them after the first or maybe second successful batch, because otherwise you will be stuck with them.

ApistoLewis

So I take it this website isn’t a good place for newcomers to join then haha. Yeah I’ve looked through a few of those sub forums, I wasn’t interested in the sex of my apistos because I’ve kind of figured it out by looking through those forums.
I’d say the male is about 1 1/2 inch, the female half of that. Apistos are really rare where I live tbh (UK), I’ve never seen any apistos in my LFS, I had to travel a while to get these Cockatoos.
Id really like to try some of the rarer breeds but I think I’d struggle to find them.

MacZ

So I take it this website isn’t a good place for newcomers to join then haha.
Of course it's the best! No question! ;) Still, we are few in comparison to other boards and that can sometimes mean you don't get an answer right away. It's just unfortunate you come here on a day with little activity. Somebody is always going to answer, might just take a bit.

I’d say the male is about 1 1/2 inch, the female half of that.
That's roughly 4cm... so they are just getting there. I's say 2-3 months until they get serious.

Id really like to try some of the rarer breeds but I think I’d struggle to find them.
You've come to the right place then. The forum is international.

ApistoLewis

Of course it's the best! No question! ;) Still, we are few in comparison to other boards and that can sometimes mean you don't get an answer right away. It's just unfortunate you come here on a day with little activity. Somebody is always going to answer, might just take a bit.

That's roughly 4cm... so they are just getting there. I's say 2-3 months until they get serious.

You've come to the right place then. The forum is international.
Yeah I don’t mind waiting, seems like a lot of you guys know your stuff. I’ve read a lot of the forums here before I even got my apistos because I’ve been wanting them for a long time.

Oh cool! They’re such interesting fish, think they’re definitely going to be my favourite lol.

Nice! I’ve never ordered fish online, always thought it was too risky

MacZ

Yeah I don’t mind waiting, seems like a lot of you guys know your stuff. I’ve read a lot of the forums here before I even got my apistos because I’ve been wanting them for a long time.
Good. Research is essential.

Oh cool! They’re such interesting fish, think they’re definitely going to be my favourite lol.
Hope you have fu keeping them!

Nice! I’ve never ordered fish online, always thought it was too risky
Maybe somebody even knows a store or a breeder closer to you, you didn't know about.

ApistoLewis

Good. Research is essential.

Hope you have fu keeping them!

Maybe somebody even knows a store or a breeder closer to you, you didn't know about.
Oh I sure will thanks!
Did you see the picture of my female? I’m right in thinking it’s female aren’t I?

ApistoLewis

Also, do you think it’s possible to keep another pair of a different species in the same tank or is it too risky? It’s a 180L with plenty of hiding spots and caves

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Also, do you think it’s possible to keep another pair of a different species in the same tank or is it too risky? It’s a 180L with plenty of hiding spots and caves
Theoretically possible, but I wouldn't advise it for a beginner. You're going to have a lot of questions and learning just from the one pair. Adding another species/pair will make things a lot more complicated, and the fish are the ones who would suffer from that learning curve.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….