• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these still juveniles? When will they be sexually mature?

ApistoLewis

I would say probably female, but likely too small to know for sure based on that photo. They can breed from a very young age, though, so if it is female that can definitely happen.
Oh cool thanks! I’ve seen reports of sneaker males so hoping she isn’t one lol. The store said they were young but I wasn’t sure how young they actually were.
Theoretically possible, but I wouldn't advise it for a beginner. You're going to have a lot of questions and learning just from the one pair. Adding another species/pair will make things a lot more complicated, and the fish are the ones who would suffer from that learning curve.
Yeah that’s true! I’m happy enough with these 2 for the time being anyways. Was just wondering for future reference. Thanks for the advice.

anewbie

I would be more concern about when the male will mature. A normal male cockatoo is 1 1/2 the size of a female and more than twice the bulk.

ApistoLewis

I would be more concern about when the male will mature. A normal male cockatoo is 1 1/2 the size of a female and more than twice the bulk.
The male is about double the size of the female at the moment. You think he looks mature?

anewbie

The male is about double the size of the female at the moment. You think he looks mature?
There is a wide variance in size and posture. from the picture he looks smaller than the males i've had but sometime they end up a bit smaller so he might be mature enough to breed but he might not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….