• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

aquascaper getting amazonian fever

jv_xbishop

5 Year Member
i'm a big aquascaper untill i saw pictures of A. agassiziis. started digging around and found a whole new world of beautiful apistos and the amazon. yes, i'm a newbie to the world of apistos and only started learning about them and the amazon about 4 months ago. here's a few of my tanks, basic tank specs, and fishes. i couldnt find much visuals on underwater habitats so i tried creating a amazon "like" tank below. let me know how i can make it look more amazon with no green plants. maybe add more twigs? thanks. comments are welcome!thanks

jay

Amazon
10galamazon.jpg

Abaenschifemale.jpg

size = 10 gallon
temp = ~79 F
pH = ~6.8
water = soft (RO)
fish = A. baenschi female (i think i was sent a sick male which tried to treat but died yesterday. damn! ANYONE GOT A MALE FOR SALE OR TRADE FOR MY TRIPPLE RED CACATUIODE?)

NanoScape
5galaquascape3.jpg

5galaquascape1.jpg

5gal2.jpg

size = 5 gallon
temp = ~77 F
co2 = DIY bottle ~20ppm
pH = ~7
water = soft
fish = neon tetras, male A. cacatuiode tripple red (ANYONE WANT TO TRADE ME FOR A MALE A. BAENSCHI?)
plants = dwarf hairgrass, dwarf baby tears

JavaScape
10galjavascape22.jpg

10galjavascape2.jpg
Acacatuiode2.jpg

size = 10 gallon
temp = ~77 F
pH = ~7
co2 = DIY bottle ~10ppm
soft RO water
fish = male A. cacatuiode (tripple red), otocinclus
plants = java moss
lighting = 65w PC 6700k (10 hrs)

Aquascape
55galaquascape.jpg

Aagassiziired.jpg

size = 55 gallon
temp = ~78 F
pH = 7
co2 = ~30ppm (20lb cylinder with milwaukee regulator)
lighting = 4x65w PC 6700k
soft RO water
fish = celestial pearl danio, A. agassizii (double red?) pair
plants = java moss, ratola indica, anubias nana, baby tears

[OOPS! DIDNT NOTICE I POSTED IN WRONG AREA. SORRY.]

peterK

5 Year Member
First 3 tanks are too small to keep such an aggressive Apistos as Baenschi or Cockatoo in them. It is possible when you have a bonded pair, but when you put healthy male to Inka's female it won't end very nice for her.

jv_xbishop

5 Year Member
peterK,
that is true that the tanks may be a little small. i wanted to get different apisto but didnt really have space to get larger tank knowing it wont too good to mix the different apistos. here's how i kinda get around that. i have a couple of other 10 gallon tanks (breeder tanks) that are split in half, used for fattening up the females and getting them ready for spawning. these tanks have lots of javamoss, a caves and leaves with water conditions already good for breeding in. for example the female cacatuiode for the JavaScape tank, i actually have her in the breeder tank getting her ready for spawning. when she is ready for spawning i will either put the male in with the female or move the female to the JavaScape tank and add in a spawning cave. i've done this with the agassizii putting him with females in the breeder tank. about a month ago i got a spawn from two different females (about 50 babies each) in the breeder tanks. this works for me, for now.

as for the cacatuiode in the 5 gallon, he was a order shipment i wasnt supose to get. long story and dont have anywhere else to put him. he'd doing fine with the neons though. peter, you got great observation! thanks.

jay

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Hello Jay!

Welcome to the Apistogramma Forum! Your tanks are very beautiful, as well as your photos. I also love planted tanks, and this is how I too was lead into the fascinating world of the dwarf cichlids.

I agree w/ Peterk, though, of all these species, the A. baenschi will definitely need more space. They are the ones I am particularly fond of - however they give me the most trouble!!! They can fight and do bite, causing serious wounds. Sometimes a male will harm the female. But I've even had just a 10g holding tank with all females getting into deadly fights. (If half of a fishes' lip is left torn off that fish will not recover.)

I've tried keeping a trio of these fish in a 15 gallon (24" x 12"). It was a little better. But still, eventually, ended up with one of the females being maimed. Even though the male did spawn with both females. So both female had babies to guard. Still, later they fought resulting in a mortal wound. Another time, another 15 gallon, the females wounded the male. He, unfortunately, also did not recover. You, simply can't watch all the time. Most often, you probably won't happen to witness the fight.

I now started keeping a trio in a 20 gallon long (30" x 12"). So far this has worked the best. The male spawned with both females. And I have two batches of fry growing up. However, at some point one of the females - again - decided she was done sharing. Now there's just the pair, and fry from about three different spawnings. Soon, I will move the adults to another 20 long, and let this be a grow out for a few more months.

It's been quite a steep learning curve for me to succeed with the A. baencshi, - if that's what you can call it?? My next step is to work more on the problems I've been having with skewed sex ratios. It seems to me that you have to be extra determined and dedicate a larger tank if you really want to work with the A. baenschi.

If you do locate a male, perhaps move them into your 55g and put the A. agassizii into one of the smaller tanks.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Those are great tanks. I think the first most represents what I've been reading (in my short time) what the Amazon represents. You've done a great job with all of your tanks...keep up the nice work. Thanks for taking the time to share.

animalmgc

5 Year Member
Nice tanks!I too was into the planted tank first which brought me to Apistos.

And yes the first tank actually is the correct Bio from what I've read and seen.Right now I have a 60,55, and a 40.My 40 is occupied by Triple reds and is set to a South American Bio but not by Apisto standards.I do have a dream of Breeding more Apistos along with my 3 yr old g-son and as that happens some tanks will make thier wway to the Garage.At that point I too will dive into the "perfect Bio" for Apistos.But for now as the tanks are set across the house I will keep them planted

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….