• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos that likes a slightly higher ph?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
So long as the livebearers stay away from the breeding site & the fry, they will not be bothered. Small crustaceans are an important part of many wild apistos' diets. Larger species will probably survive until they molt (shed their exoskeleton & grow). At this time, when the external shell is soft, the apistos will eat them if they find them. Many people recommend Otocinclus as algae eaters. I use an algae scraper & a siphon hose to remove algae in my breeding tanks.

Linda

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
So long as the livebearers stay away from the breeding site & the fry, they will not be bothered. Small crustaceans are an important part of many wild apistos' diets. Larger species will probably survive until they molt (shed their exoskeleton & grow). At this time, when the external shell is soft, the apistos will eat them if they find them. Many people recommend Otocinclus as algae eaters. I use an algae scraper & a siphon hose to remove algae in my breeding tanks.

Ok, maybaye it is best to only have the apistos and some livebearers.

Thanks for all yours advice. You have given my alot to think about.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Ted Judy has said in the past, that he has had good luck using platies for dithers. Can't remember for sure, but I think he said they left the fry alone.

Michael

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….