• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos that likes a slightly higher ph?

blueblue

5 Year Member
I have bred the following apistos in slightly alkaline hard water:
A. Agassizii, A. Cacatuoides, and A. Viejita. ^.^

I guess they can tolerate slightly high pH BUT it's in general
a bad idea to keep apisto in alkaline water.

Linda said:
Hello.

Is there any Apisto that goes well in slightly higher ph?

About 7.5 and 8 i kh? Or it is a bad idea?

Sorry for my bad english..

Linda

5 Year Member
Hello blueblue.

What was your ph and kh more exact?

after what i can read me to maybe some one of this species can "make it" in my water.
Apistogramma rupununi
Apistogramma steindachneri
Apistogramma trifasciata
Apistogramma borellii
Apistogramma cacatuoides

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Linda, i didn't measure kH while i think the water would not be too hard at that time. pH was around 7.5-7.8, that is basically equal to the pH of tap water in many areas of Hong Kong. To some extent, i reckon that quite a large number of popular tank-bred species can survive in slightly alkaline water as many breeders and fish-farms do not provide very pleasant environment to the fish... The fish, especially those which do not carry a high price tag, have to survive in a wider range of water conditions. ^.^

Linda said:
Hello blueblue.

What was your ph and kh more exact?

after what i can read me to maybe some one of this species can "make it" in my water.
Apistogramma rupununi
Apistogramma steindachneri
Apistogramma trifasciata
Apistogramma borellii
Apistogramma cacatuoides

A

ap.cacatuoides

Apistogramma cacatuoides can breed in ph up to 7.5.
I see you are from Sweeden, have you tryed zoopet?

A

ap.cacatuoides

Off course you could ask here too...
Just asked if you knewed about it. Since you were from Scandinavia you too, I think that's was kind of fun:D

Linda

5 Year Member
blueblue said:
Hi Linda, i didn't measure kH while i think the water would not be too hard at that time. pH was around 7.5-7.8, that is basically equal to the pH of tap water in many areas of Hong Kong. To some extent, i reckon that quite a large number of popular tank-bred species can survive in slightly alkaline water as many breeders and fish-farms do not provide very pleasant environment to the fish... The fish, especially those which do not carry a high price tag, have to survive in a wider range of water conditions. ^.^

No I guess so to. I am veary "peckish" (don´t no if that is the right word for "sugen on swedish" want to have or someting like that.) have a small group of apisto in my 540liter(about 120gallon if I dont remember wrong).

Linda

5 Year Member
ap.cacatuoides said:
Off course you could ask here too...
Just asked if you knewed about it. Since you were from Scandinavia you too, I think that's was kind of fun:D
I agree,I was only joking. :) Vi svenskar kan vara trevliga ibland. :biggrin:

tetraboy

5 Year Member
Last fall I successfully raised a batch of A. Cacatuoides in water with a pH of 8.0. Most of those fish are now at the LFS waiting to be taken to their new homes. (I kept a few for myself for entertainment).

Don't know about water hardness. My kit gives readings in ppm -I think I'm just above 220.

Best of luck whatever you do.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Linda said:
No I guess so to. I am veary "peckish" (don´t no if that is the right word for "sugen on swedish" want to have or someting like that.) have a small group of apisto in my 540liter(about 120gallon if I dont remember wrong).
Linda, sorry that i could not get what you mean... what does it mean by "peckish"? "veary"? ...

Linda

5 Year Member
blueblue said:
Linda, sorry that i could not get what you mean... what does it mean by "peckish"? "veary"? ...

Hi agin.

No not veary, it is hard to explain. Want to have is about right. And "peckish" was the word I found when look up the swedish word "sugen" on English.

I had never heard the word "peckish" before so I took a chance that you would have. :wink:

Linda

5 Year Member
tetraboy said:
Last fall I successfully raised a batch of A. Cacatuoides in water with a pH of 8.0. Most of those fish are now at the LFS waiting to be taken to their new homes. (I kept a few for myself for entertainment).

Don't know about water hardness. My kit gives readings in ppm -I think I'm just above 220.

Best of luck whatever you do.

I think will try Cacatuoides! Thanks.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
some strains of A. borelli could be ok in slightly alcaline water, although I'd pick them up from local breeders rather than from the Far East. this way there is a bigger chance they were raised in similar conditions.

I had quite a few batches of A. sp. "Mamore" in quite soft (8dGH), slightly alcaline water.
I raised a pretty nice A. iniridae male in 7,5 pH and 12dGH, which came to me by accident as a 1" fry. he was growing very rapidly and healthy, ony his dorsal fin was not as high as on most pictures.
I could not breed A. "viejita" in those conditions.

it seems much depends on an individual fish or strain you can get. instead of experiments on living creatures you may consider buying an RO unit and stop thinking about it.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Linda,

Many apistos that originate in whitewater or habitats where values change seasonally will live & even breed in slightly alkaline (pH<7.5), moderately hard (dH < 10º).

These include:

A. borellii
A. cacatuoides
"A. caetei" forms
A. commbrae
A. cf. eunotus Orange-tail/Orangeschwanz
A. cf. eunotus Shahuaya/Pink Apisto
A. geisleri (Emerald/Smaragd)
A. guttata
A. hoignei
A. linkei
A. piauiensis
A. sp. Rotpunkt
A. steindachneri
A. trifasciata
A. sp. Wangenflecken/Cheek-spots

Numbers of offspring will be low, but you should get a few. You would do better if you dropped the pH to below 7 by using sphagnum peat.

Linda

5 Year Member
Hello again.

Mike Wise: Then I have some choices.

I think that i will have one group (1 male + 3 females) of apisto that you mention.A pair of Nannacara anomala, some Hemigrammus bleheriand and some catfishes. But mayby the chance to have offspring is zero, in a 250 liter (125*45*45cm) with that company?

I hope that you understand me despite my bad English. :redface:

//Linda

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In a 250 L tank, you should have some offspring survive if it is well aquascaped. It is important to know that H. bleheri (Bleher's Rummy Nose Tetra) is an excellent fry predator. If you are also keeping N. anomala, I recommend keeping a larger Apistogramma species. N. anomala can be very aggressive when breeding.

Linda

5 Year Member
I was thinking to aquascaped the aquarium like this
1568.jpg

With roots, leaf, Vesicularia dubyana and some diffrent types of moss( Riccia fluitans).

Maybye it is better to take a another species of apistogramma?

Or it is better to have no "big" group of one apistogramma?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You have to decide which is more important. Do you want to breed your fish or have a community? Your apistos (and any fish) will be more successful in reproducing in a breeding tank. A breeding tank has only the breeding species & maybe 1 or 2 small peaceful 'dither' fish that will not eat the fry.

Linda

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
You have to decide which is more important. Do you want to breed your fish or have a community? Your apistos (and any fish) will be more successful in reproducing in a breeding tank. A breeding tank has only the breeding species & maybe 1 or 2 small peaceful 'dither' fish that will not eat the fry.

You are right. I want to try too breed them.

So I will have the apistos with some wild guppies or endlers.
And some shrimp to eat algers.

Or will the guppies and shrimp be a problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….