• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos and Discus

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
How successful is this combination? I plan to put 4-6 half dollar size discus in a 55 with some viejitas. Is it possible to put another species in the tank? How succesful would the Viejitas be?

farm41

5 Year Member
It is possible, but I would not recommend that. The discus will be a full load on there own, when grown up.

aspen

5 Year Member
ime, viejitas are very agressive. i would pick another more peaceful species, like rams or borrelli's. or, as matt says, that tank will be loaded, (imo overloaded) with just the discus when they grow a bit.

i would raise the discus bare bottomed with no tankmates in that 55. i have had bad luck with tankmates with very small discus.

jmo, rick

kribs

5 Year Member
I have kept them with the vejitas. But i would not reccomend it since you will be feeding the discus a lot of bloodworms. I have had dropsy when the apistos are continiously fed bloodworms. I would keep discus in a 55 and grow them out by themselves. apistos are better off in a 15 gallon planted with some dithers.

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
how about a diet other than bloodworms? I was thinking of black worms and beef/turkey heart. Pellets would round out the diet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….