• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp oregon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is basically an A. nijsseni-like form with the flank patch located higher up on the body. I would treat it just like A. nijsseni - soft & acid water.

Do you think it was named in honor of David Soares from Sisters, Oregon???:biggrin:

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I doubt it Mike it was probably named for the Ducks over in Corvallis, in a round about way---I brought back some Sunpin and some Similis this time.Sunpin is sort of like this fish Oregon but not with the nijsseni markings, I also got some really nice velifera, the males fight constantly with the females, I also got some Xingu, unfortunately they had some kind of problema and I only have one female left----does anyone have males!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
David, you should know better! As a University of Oregon alumnus (Go Ducks!) I know the UofO is in Eugen. Oregon State University is in Corvalis.

I've heard of the Sunpin, but never seen a picture of it. Does it look more like A. atahualpa?

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sp Oregon and camera too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My goof as I dont follow college football it's understandable. Mike the Sunpin has the traditional nijsenni bodyshape but it doesnt have any of the colors--Uwe had one male left which hid all the time and I only saw juvs and brought some of those back. My camera is broken so soon as I get a new one I take some--btw does anyone have any suggestions as to a camera--what do you use MIke?

ragmansrams

5 Year Member
i'd tell you to buy a konica minolta dave but you said the picks i sent you were the worst youv'e ever seen

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
btw does anyone have any suggestions as to a camera--what do you use MIke?

I'm still using my 25 year old Pentax LX & scanning the photos. I do have a digital camera, but it is an inexpensive one that only takes "adequate" fish pictures. I'm waiting for Pentax to bring out an 8 mp digital SLR to replace their 6.1 mp *ist-DS (no sense buying lenses for another brand when I already have a good selection of Pentax lenses). I imagine that it will be out in a year or two.

If I needed to buy a new "fish" camera right now - & didn't have all the lenses I now have - I'd spend the $1000 & buy the new Canon 8 mp SLR. They have fast response so you won't have to 'lead' your fish when photographing (somewhere between 3 & 8 frames/second). At 8 mp it will be hard to tell an 8 x 10" digital photo from a photographic one. If you don't plan on printing 8 x 10s, then any of the 6 mp SLRs from Canon, Nikon, Konica/Minolta & Pentax, etc. will do well & cost about $150 - 200 less than the 8 mp.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thats the one thing I dont like about digital cameras--when the camera takes the pic the fish is gone!!!!!!!!!! Thats shutter speed aint it??

AquaAlbatros

5 Year Member
In some models you can adjust the speed of the camera.
My camera it's a Sony DSC-f717, it's digital but you can manual adjust all the settings . My advice : put your money in a good external flash, or two of them.
With good ligth any camera it's good. Get a tripod, and illuminate from the top (flashes looking down). Look for amano photos, in my opinion they are the best and he put the flashes looking down : no spot reflections. And invest in a short course of photography too!. I spend my money in cameras and flashes but still my photos are too bad... :mad:
Best regards,
Juan.-

francis

5 Year Member
are they similar to A.payaminonis?

oregon1.jpg

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

do you think, it's a the same as A. nijsseni?

Here are some more pictures of the A. sp Oregon

Mr. Matthäus from amazon-exotic-import told me, that his exporteur said, the A. sp. Oroegon will get longer dorsal fin membranes, like A. sp. Zwilling/Twin or A. baenschi. Unfortunately all pictures of the Oregon I know, don't confirm that and I never saw living specimen.
He also confirmed me, that the A. sp. Oregon could maybe the same as A. sp Zwilling/Twin. What do you think?

best regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think that A. sp. Oregon is the same as Zwilling/sp. aff. payaminonis nor nijsseni. The caudal spots are very different in size. The nose seems longer, too. They are closely related, that is for sure. Over the years Julio Melgar has told me that native collectors claimed that there are fish like A. nijsseni in many places in Peru. A. sp. Oregon appears to be one of them.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
David, you should know better! As a University of Oregon alumnus (Go Ducks!) I know the UofO is in Eugen. Oregon State University is in Corvalis.

I've heard of the Sunpin, but never seen a picture of it. Does it look more like A. atahualpa?

Last year, traders imported an apisto called "Sunpin" to Hong Kong, the photos are
listed as follows (from Ishek). It looks very much similar to A. sp. "Sunrise":
Is it the same as the sunpin that you have obtained?

dsc_0116a.jpg

dsc_0087a.jpg

blueblue

5 Year Member
apistodave said:
These look a lot like the large male that Uwe has
i see... and i am guessing that sunpin is just a species very very close to,
if NOT exactly the same as, the Sunrise... ^.^

Hope in Uwe's coming cichlid atlas, he will have a proposition for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….