• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Sp. vaupes and A. Sp. gillspot WC

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
wetspot has them unsexed for $20 each; which is the lowest i've seen. While these are sold as young unsexed I'd still contact them to see if they are both sexes or more likely single sex. If you get someone knowledgeable they will check.
I have 4x of these arriving later this morning. They said they were sexable, but had an imbalance in gender ratio. If you just want a pair or two, they should be fine sending them. I can update you later once they arrive. I also assume any photos they have on their website were taken from the batch they are selling, as I think this is the first time they've ever carried this species.

Bramgroet

I have 4x of these arriving later this morning. They said they were sexable, but had an imbalance in gender ratio. If you just want a pair or two, they should be fine sending them. I can update you later once they arrive. I also assume any photos they have on their website were taken from the batch they are selling, as I think this is the first time they've ever carried this species.
Well I live in the Netherlands and they have them at the biggest wholesaler in the country. But they will probably be from the same shipment as the US ones. But I am going to the lfs now so I will ask. But could you sent a picture of the specimens?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Not much to see, yet. They seem skinny but active. Fed on some mosquito larvae a few hours after acclimation.
PXL_20230404_203540639.jpg

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Is it normal to have a lot of red around the gill area ?
Yes I believe they have red near the gill plate. But also they were in shipping so I expect some stress and/or burn. They seem to have settled nicely. I need to fatten them up.

Bramgroet

How are they doing now? My lfs can order them for 19,95 per fish. They can ask for a couple but it is not a garante. How much should I get I only want to end up with one male and one female.

My male apistogramma cf. Agassizii netz died since you can’t get these species anywhere it is no option to get a second male. I now am stuck with 2 females apistogramma. I can try it at the Netherlands online marketplace but the females are not pretty so I don’t think that they will be populair and I think someone only buys them if they are looking for females. They have bred so that might get them to sell but I have my doubts. I need to get these females out if I want to get these fish. The lfs won’t take them.

I want to buy a new tank soon but it is expensive for a 14 year old. So I will buy one when the fish are sexual mature.

I do want nee good looking apistogramma cause these two females are not that pretty. Also they don’t really stand out in a relatively big tank.

So it is something I should consider.

Sorry for the bad English (I’m Dutch)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When I buy apistos sight unseen or not obviously sexable, I buy 6 specimens. Statistics say that you will have a 98%+ chance of getting one of each sex. When possible, I ask to get some large and some smaller specimens. This makes it more likely to get some of each sex. I know that this is not possible, cost-wise, for many. For those, they only have 2 choices: buy fewer and take your chance or wait until one can buy guaranteed pairs.

Bramgroet

How are they doing now? I could buy 3 maybe 4 but I rather buy 3. So what should I ask for did you got more males or more females? I am still doubting which one to get A. Sp D39, A. Sp D37 or A. Caetei.

Bramgroet

Hello,
I can now work with rainwater (KH 0, Ph 6, TDS 20ppm). This means I can keep/breed a lot more different species. I can get my hands on A. sp. cruzeiro. I can't find much info on this fish only that it is from the rio juruá. Does someone has some info? I can get a definite male and female for 30 euro. The only problem might be that I have a 50cm X 30cm X 30cm tank where I can work with rainwater. I do have space for them in the 200L but I can't work with rainwater in that tank. So while a 50x30x30 cm is enough for a pair? If it doesn't work out I can separate them but then one fish lives in a bit harder water(pH 6,3, KH 1, TDS 120 ppm).

MacZ

So while a 50x30x30 cm is enough for a pair?
Back to basics for pretty much all species: That tank size is only okay if you have another tank running with basically the same parameters to move one of the fish at any given time in case it's necessary. So acclimation would be necessary if you move one of them. And that is an inconvenience you have to consider. Also... aren't there other Apistos in the other tank?

Bramgroet

I would indeed need to acclimate them if I want to transfer. I do have other apistogramma in the big tank but they easily live with each other. They don’t ever fight sometimes they big themselves big and the other females swims away but that’s it. So another female added will not make big of a change i think.

MacZ

So another female added will not make big of a change i think.
Don't get the idea the big tank can hold that many territorial fish like a waste bin. At some point interspecies aggression will still occur, once the stocking density reaches critical numbers.

Bramgroet

I understand, I already have put the two females on marktplaats (Dutch online selling place like eBay). I won’t buy the A. Cruzeiro anyways cause I would need to travel 6 hours to get the fish here. Since he won’t ship them which is understandable. So the search for a nice species is still on. I got a tip for wild A. Uaupesi “soa gabriel” which the lfs could order but I will wait until I am back from holiday. The big problem is just that you don’t know if you will get males and females if you order the fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Don't you have a good dwarf cichlid book? Both of Koslowski's books, Staeck's 2003 book and Römer's CA1 book have good information on this species. That said, it is relatively rarely available commercially, is a blackwater species, and breeds and behaves like A. cacatuoides. My specimens grew larger than A. cacatuoides so anything smaller than a 20 gallon long aquarium (75x30x30 cm) is too small IMHO.

Bramgroet

That said, it is relatively rarely available commercially, is a blackwater species, and breeds and behaves like A. cacatuoides. My specimens grew larger than A. cacatuoides so anything smaller than a 20 gallon long aquarium (75x30x30 cm) is too small IMHO.
I understand. I will not be getting them anyways since I would need to travel 6 hours total. I am going to ask my lfs if they can manage to get apistogramma uaupesi “soa gabriel” wc from Glaser. But I have heard that with ordering A. Lineata, A. Iniridae and A. Uaupesi. There are made a lot of mistakes with ID. I find the species from the iniridea group really interesting.

I will be looking in to the books the problem is that they can get quite expensive like 30-80 €. Do you have the exact titles I can get the CA2 for €32. But I don’t know the titles of koslowki’s books.

Edit: koslowski’s book is die buntbarsche Amerikas 2. But it is only in German right and €50? I am still young (14) so it is a lot of money for a book for me. I will think about it since it supplies a lot of info. There is a lot of info on the internet tho.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frankephex

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….