• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Sp. vaupes and A. Sp. gillspot WC

anewbie

One question is it okay to use pure rainwater with peat? Also thanks for the replies.
Make sure the rainwater is pure - i.e, if you have a tar roof like usa it might be contaminated if from the gutters. I think some areas in europe have slate roofs which work better; likewise avoid areas that might have pesticide.

MacZ

I think some areas in europe have slate roofs which work better; likewise avoid areas that might have pesticide.
Just for the dimensions: In Europe densely populated areas (by North American standards) are the norm. More comparable to New England states and Pennsylvania than the South or Mid-West, let alone the West.
So escaping high nitrate levels in the ground water or pollution in rainwater is not that easy here.
Roofs depend on the country, really. Mostly it's ceramic roof tiles in the Low Countries and central-west Europe but single story flatroof bungalows are also common. Rain gutters are mostly zinc and PVC. (Finally it helps to have a roofer in the family.)
That said, a mechanical filter and maybe an active carbon filter could be advised to pretreat rainwater. Usually just a net or a sponge to remove particles are all that's needed. In metropolitan areas rainwater is a no-go though. Fine particle contamination is high.

Bramgroet

Rain gutters are mostly zinc and PVC. (Finally it helps to have a roofer in the family.)
That’s my gutter.
That said, a mechanical filter and maybe an active carbon filter could be advised to pretreat rainwater. Usually just a net or a sponge to remove particles are all that's needed.
I will filter over active carbon atleast 24 hours. And when I dump it in the tank I will do it over a bit of filterfloss. I also know people that just dump it in the tank maybe with some filterfloss but that’s it and they never had problems. But better be safe then sorry.

In metropolitan areas rainwater is a no-go though. Fine particle contamination is high.
I don’t live in a big city also in the Netherlands we have a wind coming from the south wester and I don’t live north east from a industrial zone in 30-50 km.

MacZ

That’s my gutter.
Zinc can be problematic, but I have no experience with that.

I will filter over active carbon atleast 24 hours. And when I dump it in the tank I will do it over a bit of filterfloss. I also know people that just dump it in the tank maybe with some filterfloss but that’s it and they never had problems. But better be safe then sorry.
Definitely better safe than sorry. Problem with longterm contamination is, you don't notice it until it's too late.

I don’t live in a big city also in the Netherlands we have a wind coming from the south wester and I don’t live north east from a industrial zone in 30-50 km.
Same main wind direction as here. If there's nothing of note about 50km south-west of you, you're safe. Agriculture in your parts is mostly animals or greenhouses, I assume? If so you're safe of that, too.

Bramgroet

Agriculture in your parts is mostly animals or greenhouses, I assume? If so you're safe of that, too.
Animals indeed.
Zinc can be problematic, but I have no experience with that.
I know but a lot of older houses in the Netherlands have zinc gutters and I haven’t heard of problems from them. But I have to try to know if it works. But I will do wat I can to make it as safe as possible.

MacZ

I know but a lot of older houses in the Netherlands have zinc gutters and I haven’t heard of problems from them. But I have to try to know if it works. But I will do wat I can to make it as safe as possible.
As you plan on using active carbon you should be fine. We also have zinc gutters, but as I live in the city I can forget about using rainwater anyway.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you want to be extra safe, just collect water off of the roof ~15 minutes after it starts to rain. This will provide time for the roof to rinse itself of debris and flush any pollutants in the air.

I always hesitate to recommend activated carbon found in pet stores. It is not best quality (i.e. laboratory grade) and doesn't last along, maybe a half-hour at best. Top quality carbon that I used professionally to remove toxic chemicals from groundwater on Superfund sites required a ton and was rapidly depleted. We replaced it every day or two. I doubt that your rainwater is that bad!:)

Bramgroet

I always hesitate to recommend activated carbon found in pet stores. It is not best quality (i.e. laboratory grade) and doesn't last along, maybe a half-hour at best. Top quality carbon that I used professionally to remove toxic chemicals from groundwater on Superfund sites required a ton and was rapidly depleted. We replaced it every day or two. I doubt that your rainwater is that bad!:)
Wel I might throw out all the rainwater in the rain barrel since the water is old. And then dump it over filterfloss when I put it in de tank. But you wouldn’t recommend filtering over active carbon and just throw it in without filtering?

MacZ

I think he only meant the stuff sold in petstores. There's better quality out there for a much better price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….