• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixed bag arriving as A. megaptera

Chilligan

A recent shipment to our LFS designated A. Megaptera seems to include at least 2 species. I'm guessing A. velifera for the fish in the two stills. What do the experts think?

1000011626.jpg

1000011625.jpg

Next, anyone see potential females in the video?

Thanks for the education.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
You have at least 3 different species:
1. the "velifera" are in fact A. sp. Putzer,
2. an iniridae-group species:

2.jpg

which is probably A. uaupesi

3. the "megaptera" which are most likely A. cf. piaroa (A165).

Unlike megaptera and velifera, these 3 species are not from the Orinoco but rather from the Rio Negro.

To become more sure about these IDs, please post some clear photos of males of species #2 and #3 with all fins spread.

Chilligan

Thank you very much @Frank Hättich
I thought I had it with velifera. A. putzer is a new one for me, but seems to be a very nice looking species.

Uaupesi I guessed from the solid line and sail on a few of the more slender fish.

Will share your identifications with the shop this weekend, and try to get the video / photos you requested while there.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Both A. velifera & sp. Putzer are pertensis-group species. Unlike the relate iniridae-group species, the pertensis-group species show a caudal spot separated from the lateral band. A. velifera & sp. Putzer are easily distinguished by the 4 prominent abdominal stripes and a more robust/stocky body of A. velifera, hence its common name Vierstreifen/Four-stripes Apisto.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
A. velifera & sp. Putzer are easily distinguished by the 4 prominent abdominal stripes and a more robust/stocky body of A. velifera, hence its common name Vierstreifen/Four-stripes Apisto.
... and by the shape of the caudal fin: A. velifera rounded vs. A. sp. Putzer two-tipped/lyrate.

Chilligan

I grabbed a few more videos. I don't know that they're much better than the first, but posting regardless in case anyone wants a challenge.

I'll very curious whether there are clear females among the group, particularly of A sp. putzer.

SpeckledJellyfish

Vancouver is a nice area (though better in spring/early summer); maybe take a road trip from seattle or the ferry one day ;)
I live in Oregon, just across the state line in Portland, but it's definitely a bit more of a journey. I think I will research what would be needed to bring a few fish and snails across the border though! Canada DOES look gorgeous though and I would love to visit and just see a new place!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….