• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cacatuoides or Apistogramma agassizii? 120L long

ZanaZoola14

Basically, yes. You can do 1 or 3, not 2 not 4. 5 might be too many for the tanksize already.
The tank is largely structured correctly and planted nicely, remove the LED-"UFO" as it will likely be a stress factor, also tune down the bubblers. Some extra driftwood and leaf litter would also be appreciated by the fish.
Alright, so 1 or 3.
I'm soaking more driftwood and waiting for it to sink before adding it, and I'm looking into getting the leaf litter with added things like the cones and other litters. I have more floating plants to cut down the light since then and removed one of the bubbles and turned down the flow as well.
What do you mean by LED-"UFO"? I don't think I've heard that term before.

MacZ

Sounds very good! :)
What do you mean by LED-"UFO"? I don't think I've heard that term before.
That thing on the bottom in the middle. Left of the rock with the dragon. If it is what I think it is, those are sold as "UFOs" in Germany.

MacZ

I also just realized you have some hillstream loaches and rainbow shiners in there as well. Thought about an unheated tank somewhere else in the house? Just as a sidenote, all these fish would do really well at 18-22°C.

ZanaZoola14

I also just realized you have some hillstream loaches and rainbow shiners in there as well. Thought about an unheated tank somewhere else in the house? Just as a sidenote, all these fish would do really well at 18-22°C.
I can change the heater in the 25litre so that it is cooler and move the guppies, however, I do not believe that it is large enough for shiners. Or they can go to the 300litre which is cooler.

MacZ

It goes off at night, however, still remove?
Yes please, whenever I've seen a thing like that in a tank many fish seemed desoriented.

I can change the heater in the 25litre so that it is cooler and move the guppies, however, I do not believe that it is large enough for shiners. Or they can go to the 300litre which is cooler.
A 25 liter is definitely too small. It would also be as a separation tank for Apistos.
If they fit in the 300, go for it.

anewbie

My lfs do not stock them, so I'll have to try and order them online. And I've not had good experience with that, recently ordered a 3 inch krib for it to turn up late and just over an inch long.
However, I would be willing to look into it if you have a trusted one.

And what ratio would be good for the size of tank that I have?

I just want to make sure that I have it all correct.
No clue where you live so it is hard to recommend a specific mail order or places to try. To be honest the best place to get them are from a hobbist in driving distance (shipping is pricey) but reliable places in the states include wetspot, aquaticclarity, jdaquatics, ethan conway, ... There are also swaps and meet in places near dc (I can ask a friend for the address if you are in that area). If you don't live in usa then i can't help much.

ZanaZoola14

No clue where you live so it is hard to recommend a specific mail order or places to try. To be honest the best place to get them are from a hobbist in driving distance (shipping is pricey) but reliable places in the states include wetspot, aquaticclarity, jdaquatics, ethan conway, ... There are also swaps and meet in places near dc (I can ask a friend for the address if you are in that area). If you don't live in usa then i can't help much.
Alright, thanks. Don't live in the usa but I'll try and find similar ones in the UK, however, I have a mobility issue that means I can't drive which is why I said online ordering.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I saw you asked in the BAND community. I believe there’s a UK Dwarf Cichlid group on that app as well, in case you’re not also in that…

Garri Ausmus

5 Year Member
I have a 120 Litre aquarium (20-30 gallon I believe), 100cmx30cmx40cm, and wondering what apistogramma to get. The aquarium is filled with rocks and has plants to help break up the line of sight. I'm wondering what species would be the best for this tank, and whether pair or group would be best.
The tank has been running for over a year, previously holding a breeding pair of kribensis.

Thanks
If you want to breed Apistos I had the best luck with no heater as their range is 60 degree F to 90 degree F. at 80 F you will get sporatic spawns with mostly males. I have found the cooler the temp the more females you will get. I have been breeding cichlids since 1983 and done years of investigation. I loved the Cacatuoides super reds the most as they showed the least violent serial killers out of the spawns than any other apistos i raised. but as always with 100 fry youll get 100 different personalities. I found i got an even male to female ratio at 72 degrees F. As stated above i found this worked best for me in colorado. I cant and wont say it will work everywhere. below is two spawns of over 100 each 28 days apart with my 2nd pair of super reds.

Attachments

• Apistogramma cacatuoides_5-27-2017.JPG
    Apistogramma cacatuoides_5-27-2017.JPG
    825.3 KB · Views: 108

Garri Ausmus

5 Year Member
My Cacatuoides orange flash pairs first spawn, my Hongsloi reds i spawned many times, My Agassizii also spawned many times several pairs, and my Bitaeniata also spawned many pairs many times.

Attachments

• Orange_cacatuoides.JPG
    Orange_cacatuoides.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 99
  • Apistograma Hongsloi red.JPG
    Apistograma Hongsloi red.JPG
    844.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    977.8 KB · Views: 97
  • mystery-cichlid-2-apistogramma- bitaeniata.jpg
    mystery-cichlid-2-apistogramma- bitaeniata.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….