• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cacatuoides black

edinjapan

5 Year Member
Was in an LFS today just looking and saw this magnificent black fish. Asked what it was and was told it was A cacatuoides. Never seen a fish so dark in my life. I'm seriously considering buying the male but, he's a singleton.

I'm wondering if buying a blue morph female and seeing if they will pair off and produce dark fry would be a worthwhile endeavour? Also, could I put them in the big tank with the Nannacara anomala and the Apistogramma agassizii?

james595

5 Year Member
Ive never heard of a black variety cac. Could you get a picture of it? The other strains can be interbred so I assume you could cross a black strain male with say a triple red female.

edinjapan

5 Year Member
Was thinking about buying the male. A super dark strain would possibly look good-I hope.

Anyways this guy and a possible mate for him will have to be my last purchase for the month. I've spent too much on fish this month and will have to make a trip down to the river to collect a couple hundred Clithon snails and post them on Aquabid.

edinjapan

5 Year Member
Bought a pair, the dark male and a female. He's looking pretty washed out at the moment, I hope that will change in the near future.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Is the whole fish black, as in being melanistic? Or are the fins like our mascot on the upper left of the forum but without the red, with the body normal color? Either would be neat to see.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
blaccac

The tail and the dorsal are nearly all black--I have had them before--the originals came from Frank EWilhelm--I'l go out and take a pic

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
blacac

If you look while not completely black it is mostly black-I could get it 100% I beleive if I tried--also incl a pic of my favorite couple doing their favorite thing:)

Attachments

• _1013960.jpg
    _1013960.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 590
  • _1013962.jpg
    _1013962.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 557
  • _1013964.jpg
    _1013964.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 544

KevinC

5 Year Member
Ivanacara adoketa--this pair is two years old and still going strong
- Thanks!

I guess black cacatuoides could be cool but I still prefer the blue wild forms or sometimes orange flash cf, providing their bodies still show the blue strongly.

KevinC

5 Year Member
I do have a feeling that black cacatuoides would be really popular though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….