• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apisto breeding - why dark gravel ?

rawdog

5 Year Member
i am using very light colored gravel atm but most breeding information advises dark gravel. - why ?

and what are the consequences of light or no gravel ?

thanks !

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I doubt that the gravel color means much. I use a lighter colored gravel & have successfully reproduced apistos for almost 30 years. Most of the Amazon Basin is covered in a fine pure white silica sand (usually covered with leaf litter). I think that people suggest darker gravel because it brings out the colors of the fish & darkens that tank - something apistos seem to prefer. A cover of floating plants darkens a tank just as well.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
I doubt that the gravel color means much. I use a lighter colored gravel & have successfully reproduced apistos for almost 30 years. Most of the Amazon Basin is covered in a fine pure white silica sand (usually covered with leaf litter). I think that people suggest darker gravel because it brings out the colors of the fish & darkens that tank - something apistos seem to prefer. A cover of floating plants darkens a tank just as well.

Mike's words are very true. In addition, i doubt the use of dark gravel for breeding when the gravel's size is big because many fries could be trapped among the gravels and they just die there because they could not get out...

usually, when we breed apistos, we usually prefer to use fine sand or aqua-soil (such as ADA's)...

rawdog

5 Year Member
thanks guys, i always assumed fish prefered the substrate to be a similar color to themselves for camoflauge

that aqua soil looks great though (googled it) - nice one blueblue

HaakonH

5 Year Member
That ADA Aqua Soil sure does look interesting, what grain size is it? Is it small enough for Apistos to be able to dig in it? Would you recommend it? I will ask my suppliers if they can get it.

-Haakon H, Norway

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
synaworldt-shirt1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….