• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two Story Tank Idea

Cichlacat

Cichlids usually only like the bottom of the tank to form their territories. And thst limits the number of cichlids a tank could support because of aggression.

I have an idea and want to see if anyone has tried it.

I have a 54 corner bow front aquarium. Its sides and gravel are black.

I thought what if i cut a piece of black plastic light cover to the curve of the tank. I would only nake it 8 inches or so wide. I’d start by putting several bricks under it to hold it up. Then add plants, caves, and other hiding places for territories making sure to taking in consideration line of sight.

This could act as more “bottom” of the tank room. So perhaps one could have a couple of pair in the tank (I’m not into seriously breeding the fish but thought this might enable “sneaker” males and give the fish a bit more room.

Had anyone tried this?

MacZ

Dwarf cichlids spawn in small caves but you'd be building a big one. Caves mean "predators inside", fish will only use it if absolutely forced. Also under such a thing the water movement will be impaired.

I've seen somebody try this once. They ultimately decided to just simulate a riverbank by completely closing the room under the sheet of glass they used off.

In the end it's easier to use separate shallow tanks instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….