• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ap. JUrua Emerald

mervin

5 Year Member
Hello all,

i just obtained a pair from Hong Kong but unforunately it is a "domestic" fish.
have never seen a wild one b4 even on the web, therefore i was just wondering if anyone has a pic of a wild fish ????

thanks.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

just search for A. sp. "Maulbrüter" (Mouthbrooder) as it is called by Koslowksi or for A. sp. "Brustband" as it is called by Römer.

I think you'll find more then...

greetings,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rolo,

Are you certain about this identification? I just rechecked my copy of Yamazaki's book that discusses A. sp. Jurua Emerald. It appears to be a young male of A. sp. Cruzeiro (=A. sp. Juruá). Yamazaki writes:

"This species was collected from the Rio Juruá in the upper part of the Amazon River system. It was introduced for the first time in 1997 by a German shipper, Mimbon Aquarium. The body radiates with emerald green color, as the name indicates. The red color spreading from the head to body resembes the coloration of A. piauiensis. The top and bottom parts of the caudal fin are slightly elogated and tinged with orange.

Its habitat is blackwater swamps and the first collecting effort yielded only a small number of fish. The first group of fish that arrived in Japan was offspring from the first collection bred in Germany. Since then wild collected fish have been imported, although in small numbers."

Yamazaki's description of Jurua Emerald, having orange tips on the top and bottom of the caudal, it being a rare, blackwater fish, corresponds to A. sp. Cruzeiro. Ingo also believed Jurua Emerald was Cruzeiro the last time I asked. I believe that Yamazaki's fish were offspring from the fish Numrich brought back & Warzel (1998) introduced as A. sp. Juruá.[/i]

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

no I'm not certain. I read it somewhere... don't know where it was (maybe in your synonyme-list?)

But, of course, this description couldn't be the A. sp. Mouthbrooder.
I will change it in my list.

Thank you.
Rolo

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
There is an outdated list at: http://www.apisto.com/FAQ/ASG_List_Names.html
It shows A. sp. Juruá Emerald as another name for A. sp. Mouthbrooder, which I now consider as incorrect. I've been busy with other projects & haven't published an updated listing of my database for quite a while & things have changed.

Mike
as soon as you found time to publish your list , i will be very interesting put my hand on a copy.
a list like that could be amazingly useful in the actualworld of apsitgramma.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll put it on my "to-do" list. Right now I'm developing programs for my next 2 talks (San Francisco in February & Norway in March). I'm also updating & digitizing a lot of slides, encouraging my fish to breed, etc. etc. There are only so many hobby hours in a week! :?

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi Mike!

Where in Norway are you going? Are you visiting Sweden also in march next year?

Best regards/ Per

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Alf invited me to come, too. Maybe I'll do, but I don't know yet. But it would be nice to meet there.

greetings,
Rolo

mervin

5 Year Member
hey Mike,
where about in SFO will the talk be held ??? dates ???

might be able to make a trip there and would love to attend your "talk"

thanks
mervin

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mervin,

I'll be talking at the San Francisco Aquarium Society meeting on the first Friday of February (February 4, 2005, I believe). Obviously you aren't coming to SF from Singapore just for my talk! 8O I would love to meet you if you can make it. I always enjoy talking with people about dwarf cichlids.

mervin

5 Year Member
hahaha !!!
of course i'm coming from SIngapore for your talk (GURU talking, must try to attend !!!) but it will be on the company's account !!!!!!

now i must try to arrange the trip.

will contact u for more detail once i get everything arrange.

thanks
mervin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….