• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone familar with P.t. 'Keinke Gold'?

Orchid

5 Year Member
I was up late searching for some pictures of different Pelvicachromis taeniatus and came across a picture of a Keinke Gold. And I thought the Lobe was a gorgeous variety! The online site said it is new to the aquarium trade, but does anyone know anything about this variety? Does anyone know of any dwarf cichlid places that would sell them and for how much? WOW, what a cichlid!

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelv. taeniatus Kienke

Dear Chris,

It is generally accepted today that Pelv. taeniatus Kienke is the fish that was originally described as Pelmatochromis kribensis, Boulenger, 1911. The Keinke River in southwest Cameroon used to be known as the Kribi River named after the village of the same name, hence the name "kribensis."

I've never heard of a "Kienke Gold" morph, but the male Kienke is basically a yellow to yellow-gold colored fish with orange to orange-red colored fins. They can occasionally be purchased from distributors specializing in West African cichlids and from private hobbyists/breeders.

Would you mind posting the website address to which you refer here on the Forum, please, so that others may see?

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Orchid

5 Year Member
Randall,

I will gladly do this, but I have to find it first. It was a site that was somewhere between 100 and 250 of the 261 possible sites, so it may take me some time.

Neil

Orchid,
You are dedicated going that deep into a search engines responses. Hope you find it. I am looking forward to seeing it as well. It might just be a nice-looking Kienke. People like to put all kinds of additional names onto species to make theirs seem special. We should be able to tell once you find the site.
Neil

Neil

Ted,
Your link doesn't work! I think there is a space where there shouldn't be. i just tried it by cut/paste and no space and it worked.
Those are some nice fish. They do look more gold than your standard Kienke. Must be a colorform of the colorform :D . Kinda like to get some of those myself.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D

After reading the original post on this thread I went to www.google.com, selected an image search, and typed in 'kienke gold'. The image on the Cichlid News page popped up.

Orchid

5 Year Member
THAT'S IT! That is the website where I saw the Kienke Gold. tjudy, you made my night a whole lot easier, thanks so much. Does anyone know anything about this beauty of a fish?

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelv. taeniatus color morphs

Dear Chris,

If you're really interested in the various Pelv. taeniatus morphs and/or West African cichlids in general, I think you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of Linke & Staeck's, African Cichlids I - Cichlids from West Africa, Tetra-Press 1994, ISBN 1-56465-166-5. The authors discuss ten different taeniatus color forms, replete with photos that will knock your socks off. Not included is Pelv. taeniatus "Bandewouri" from Cameroon. This form is equally beautiful and is occassionly available from specialized distributors and individual breeders.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….