• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

are all oak leaves suitable?

Jacobus

I recently came across a Japanese Imperial oak (Quercus dentata) from which I have a lot of leaves now. The leaves are up to 30-40 cm long, thick and hairy.
I have started using them in my tanks mainly because they make excellent sight barriers and hiding places.
What I should have started asking I am doing just now: are these leaves safe as the more common oak leaves (Q. robur, Q. rubra, Q. petraea, Q. palustris, Q. ilex etc), as far as anyone of you know?
Like I said they have the excellent size for decoration and territory buiding. Besides, being thick and leathery, they are longlasting.

Thanks Jacobus

MacZ

All Quercus species are ok to use.

BUT: It has to be brown autmn leaves. No green leaves and none that have been shed in a dry summer.

Jacobus

They are brown and dry. The tree fell in a storm some weeks ago. So a second picking next year will not be possible.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It has to be brown autmn leaves. No green leaves and none that have been shed in a dry summer.
They are brown and dry. The tree fell in a storm some weeks ago. So a second picking next year will not be possible.
What @MacZ says you really want naturally shed leaves, where the tree has withdrawn the sugars and chlorophyll prior to abscission.

Were these dead brown leaves that had been <"retained on the tree">? If they were they should be fine, if they were green when the tree came down? I wouldn't use them.

This is Carpinus betulus in February. Leaves are fine to use in this state, although they are still on the tree (if that makes sense?).

hornbeam_feb2022-2-jpg.182542

cheers Darrel

Jacobus

It makes sense Darrel, thanks. The leaves I use have all been naturally dried on the tree, afterwards shed or not depending on the kind of tree.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….