• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone ever silicone "shelves" in their tanks to increase square footage?

slipstreamv2

5 Year Member
I don't live in big place, and I can't really get away with having more/bigger tanks.

If you've seen this thread, then you guys know that the square footage in my tanks is like Manhattan apartments.

Since for apistos, footprint/area/SF is more important than total water volume, I was thinking of putting shelves in my 20g tanks, sort of like this:

---------------------------------------------------------
|.............................................................................|
|............................................------------------------|
|------------------------............................................|
---------------------------------------------------------

Of course, my tank would also be heavily planted to reduce aggression.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how that might work:biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It might work, but don't expect to double the number of fish that you can keep in it. You might want to try putting in deep (4"/10cm) layers of leaves on each shelf instead of plants. This simulates the apisto's natural biotope where females have brood territories that are stacked one on top of the other.

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
I really wanted an Apisto ‘Colony’ but couldn’t convince myself to do so with more than a 55 gal…

I Siliconed two 12â€x12†shelves on either end at slightly different elevations…

One male Cac killed all the other males…

I’ve since kept a colony in a 125 Gal with a ton of success… really the only thing I did different was use a bigger tank…

In my single experience the shelf idea simply didn’t work… but that was with only one try…

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
In lieu of shelves I have used a multitude of 1 to 1-1/2 inch cut offs of 1/2" PVC to provide more hiding places. Same concept as leaf litter, really, but without the mess. I use EhFiMech hollow ceramic bio media in Apistogramma fry tanks for the same purpose. The numerous small caves reduces the aggression related problems that often occur even among small fry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….