• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

anybody know this?

Neil

scalarefan,
I am not the best IDer of this type of group, but your fish pretty much has all the earmarks of a cruzi. I think that is a reasonable bet.
Neil

scalarefan

5 Year Member
Hi again. I just have to tell you that there are eggs inside the coconut-shell 8O
This means that the female is black & white, and that she is almost as big as the male.
This was really a big surprise!!! And they almost got flushed down the toilet 4-5 days ago... :roll: :( Now I'm reaaly glad I gave them a home :D

scalarefan

5 Year Member
Hi! :D
I got the name of these fish from the shop today, they are apistogramma eunotus, wild cought from peru.

Neil

Eunotus and cruzi are virtually identical fish, both in the Eunotus complex in the Regani group. I thought that your pics looked like the fish was likely one of the 2. Seemed more elongate, which is a trait of the cruzi.
Both are nice fish. Have fun with them!
Neil

2la

5 Year Member
If so, orange tail, blue sheen, and dorsal finnage are very subpar, and the male is retaining its stress coloration too darkly. I vote for something closer to cruzi.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi there,

for Ap. cruzi I miss the characteristic longitudinal stripes in the lower half of the body. Are they missing everytime or is it only in this picture?

Ap. eunotus normally have a much bigger and higher black spot before the caudal fin and in the picture the charakreristic orange spot at the pectoral fin is not really visible. But the form of side line seems to be very similar to Ap. eunotus (but eunotus normally doesn't show this line, if he's dominant)

So I'm still unsure about cruzi and eunotus but I have no idea yet what else it could be, so I tend toward eunotus too, because this species seems to be quite variable.
Are there some more pictures available?

@Neil: according to Koslowskis systematics, cruzi and eunotus are not in the same complex ;-)

greetings,
Rolo

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi there

I guess it could also be Ap. sp. "Nanay".

(but I mean the "Nanay" as named by Koslowski, not the Ap. sp. "Papagei/Papagallo/Algodon1", wich is also called "Nanay" by Römer)
The Koslowski-Nanay is similar, maybe identical, with the Ap. sp. "Orangestreifen" (Orange stripes)

For me it seems to be Nanay even more than Eunotus.
Can anbody affirm this?

greetings,
Rolo

scalarefan

5 Year Member
Hi Rolo!

I have lots of other pictures, but I haven't yet figured out how to post them on this foum??? :( (Anybody???? - please help :? )

The pics I have already posted are very representative for how they look. The female has maybe turned even more yellow...

The male is the only male of that species in my tank, and he has only one female. I also have an uapesi, which is not as wide and as "tall" as this eunotus(?). The eunotus(?) are much more agressive toward the uapesi than the other way around.

The female is also much bigger then the uapesi female, almost as big as the male, about 2/3 of his size.

Both the female and the male have yellow/orange fins.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….