• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advantages if dwarf cichlid pairs?

Charlieklein

So I am cycling my 37 gallon aquarium. I was wondering if it is better to have a pair of rams or trio of apistogrammas, or 1 ram and 1 apisto. Heres my desired stock
1 apistogramma agassazi double red
1 German blue ram
1 angelfish
6 rumynose tetras
6 skirt tetras(3 black 3 white)
6 panda Cory's OR another bottom feeder(suggustions?)
2 pearl gouramis
3 swordtails
5 fancy guppies
So I'm not planning in all of theese. The liveberrers are just things I like, but I'm ok without them.
So would u be ok with this stock without the swordtail and guppies. But I possible I like the guppies.
But also, would having only apistos or ram be better? Could the fry live?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I see no problem with this community. Once the angel gets some size it might consider smaller guppy males as food, however. One of each dwarf cichlid should be fine, too. Just make sure that the tank is adequately decorated to have territorial boundaries.

Charlieklein

So the whole list I had, works? Even live bearers? I have 3 cichlid stones, 2 dw pieces, 3 large fake plants, and lava tools forming a cave

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, none of the fish listed are especially aggressive. The angelfish would probably cause the most problems once it reaches full size. Your tank decor seems a bit sparse to me. I would definitely add more structure.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your fish population is a bit "heavy", but it should be OK if your feeding and water maintenance are good. Just don't add all of the fish at once or you'll overload you filtration. I'd start with one group of the tetra and cory species. The last fish I'd add are the cichlids. Add the Ram and apisto at the same time and finally the angelfish. Good luck.

Charlieklein

Ok, so here's what I'm planning.
Day after cycle
6 rumynose and 6 Cory's
Next week
6 skirt tetras, 2 pearl gouramis, 5 guppies
Next week
1 male swordtail, apisto, and ram
A few weeks later
Baby angel
So I might skip the guppies, as bi want the ones with te big fancy tails and they may not be for my tank. By I still want a top dwelling fish
Mabye harqualins?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it were my tank, I would put more than a week between additions of new fish to a new tank. If you take it slower you'll have a better chance at not losing any to water problems. Patience is best.

Charlieklein

I've cut down my stock alot.
8 rumynose tetras
3 male guppies
2 German blue rams
1 pearl gourami or 1 angel
6 Cory's or 4 yoyo loaches
1 bn pleco
How's that sound? And is it fully stocked

Cooder

Hmmm, i suppose this could work. sounds a bit heavily stocked to me. In my general experience, stuffing as many species as you can in a tank, usually doesnt end well, thats why we like lots of tanks!! haha

May i suggest? :

8 Rummy Nose, or other small tetra
A pair/trio of Rams OR Apisto,
4 Cory's
1 bn Pleco

With this stocking i think you would find water maintenance easier, so less risk of harming your fish. All these species like plants in their tank, and they are not hard to cultivate. Some hardier cryptocorne, anubias or val species with java fern and moss is quite nice, and play a good role in the nitrogen cycle
All you really need is deep enough gravel, regular lighting and appropriate doses of liquid fertiliser to help them along.
Anubias, and ferns and moses can be attached to wood and stone aswell....

Loriculus

Hmmm, i suppose this could work. sounds a bit heavily stocked to me. In my general experience, stuffing as many species as you can in a tank, usually doesnt end well, thats why we like lots of tanks!! haha

May i suggest? :

8 Rummy Nose, or other small tetra
A pair/trio of Rams OR Apisto,
4 Cory's
1 bn Pleco

THAT sounds way more reasonable to me and I would second that proposal. A 140 Liter tank is small and should not be overstocked. Additionally it depends a lot on the structure as Mike already mentioned.

I don't know that Pleco (I am a scientific name kind of guy) but all real Plecos get rather big. if you substitute that with Otocinlcus or Hypoptopoma or similar dwarf species it would look much nicer and you can add more species to observe the interaction.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macmasterman

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(