• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommendation where to buy Apisto’s

Don cheech

Hey guys,
I would really appreciate some good recommendations on where to get the best healthiest quality Apistos online nothing rare just the popular ones.
I tried a few places based on lower pricing and it was a big mistake.

Thanks in advance

Apistonaut

I have no affiliation with any of the following, but I've been recommended these by folks who DO know what they are doing.

I've communicated with RedFishBlueFish and wasn't impressed. Some of his livestock was mislabeled and his photos are atrociously edited. I think he carries decent fish, nonetheless.

Wetspot

Dans Fish

Imperial Tropicals always has a great selection, but I've never used them. I don't think they care to sex any of their Apistogramma.

Don cheech

I have no affiliation with any of the following, but I've been recommended these by folks who DO know what they are doing.

I've communicated with RedFishBlueFish and wasn't impressed. Some of his livestock was mislabeled and his photos are atrociously edited. I think he carries decent fish, nonetheless.

Wetspot

Dans Fish

Imperial Tropicals always has a great selection, but I've never used them. I don't think they care to sex any of their Apistogramma.
Thanks for the quick response yes Dans fish is definitely on my radar, imperial tropical and wetspot are definitely good choices but right now they only have a couple of them in stock have you heard any good thing about Aquaclarity

Apistonaut

Thanks for the quick response yes Dans fish is definitely on my radar, imperial tropical and wetspot are definitely good choices but right now they only have a couple of them in stock have you heard any good thing about Aquaclarity
Now that you mention it, I do know of Aquaclarity. I corresponded with Jeff and he is relatively local to me. He seems like he really knows his Apistogramma and his level of care from what I remembered was great.

He directly imports from Peru, etc. I would have no issues buying from him myself. I myself am quite an amateur with dwarf cichlids, so keep that in mind. I've read Aquaclarity recommended on this very forum many times.

He does sell color-bred Apistogramma as well, where I am not sure he sources. I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you.

Don cheech

Now that you mention it, I do know of Aquaclarity. I corresponded with Jeff and he is relatively local to me. He seems like he really knows his Apistogramma and his level of care from what I remembered was great.

He directly imports from Peru, etc. I would have no issues buying from him myself. I myself am quite an amateur with dwarf cichlids, so keep that in mind. I've read Aquaclarity recommended on this very forum many times.

He does sell color-bred Apistogramma as well, where I am not sure he sources. I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you.
Yeah I a beginner when it comes to Apistos. I can’t tell you how many l lost but I think I finally got them figured out. They are the most beautiful and intriguing of any other fish on the smaller size.
I have 5 tanks all doing great but those Apistos if you don’t set it up right they won’t make it

Apistonaut

Yeah I a beginner when it comes to Apistos. I can’t tell you how many l lost but I think I finally got them figured out. They are the most beautiful and intriguing of any other fish on the smaller size.
I have 5 tanks all doing great but those Apistos if you don’t set it up right they won’t make it
I've never lost one yet, what do you suspect has been causing them to die?

Don cheech

Too many other established bottom dwelling territorial fish in a 75 community tank. I have had this particular tank for years so most of them have died so now I’m thinking l could try and get some Apisto’s back in their

anewbie

I've used wetspot; aquaticclarity and alex and recommend all three. I would not use impericaltropicals and aquaticarts.

When I buy from Jeff (aquaticclarity); he clearly list the source of each species; i personally avoid cz fishes. Both alex and aquaticclarity will take special requests (doesn't mean they can get the fish in stock but they will make an effort).
-
If you want cheap fishes aquahuna is probably the best bet for overall lowest cost - their selection is very limited and the fishes will likely be farm fish but cost + shipping will be rock bottom and they are usually disease free.

Don cheech

I've used wetspot; aquaticclarity and alex and recommend all three. I would not use impericaltropicals and aquaticarts.

When I buy from Jeff (aquaticclarity); he clearly list the source of each species; i personally avoid cz fishes. Both alex and aquaticclarity will take special requests (doesn't mean they can get the fish in stock but they will make an effort).
-
If you want cheap fishes aquahuna is probably the best bet for overall lowest cost - their selection is very limited and the fishes will likely be farm fish but cost + shipping will be rock bottom and they are usually disease free.
Thanks for the info. I have used Aquahuna before with some good success but not sure about best quality. Funny you mention the cz fish because that was going to be my next post what do you think is better US Bred or imported if Jeff from Aquaclarity
Is one of the more reputable Apisto dealers why is he sticking with CZ just curious question with that.
Couple more things while I have your attention
Who is Alex?
What do you think of
Dans Fish
Jd Aquadics

anewbie

Thanks for the info. I have used Aquahuna before with some good success but not sure about best quality. Funny you mention the cz fish because that was going to be my next post what do you think is better US Bred or imported if Jeff from Aquaclarity
Is one of the more reputable Apisto dealers why is he sticking with CZ just curious question with that.
Couple more things while I have your attention
Who is Alex?
see post rare apisto for sale
What do you think of
Dans Fish
never used but tend to be pricey.
Jd Aquadics
Competent but most of his fishes are cz import; he occasionally have local hobbyist bred fishes and in the past he had a few wc import but i've not seen those in a while (from him).

Don cheech

Actually the best sources are other hobbyist apisto breeders and where you can see the fish and the operation before you buy. I know that this isn't always possible.
Yes unfortunately can’t find anything locally
Any online recommendations also would you recommend us bred or imported what’s your take on that

anewbie

Alex is near you; also in your neck of the wood there are some quality stores so you should be able to find decent local options. Having said that for the fishes you are considering it doesn't matter much - they are all heavily inbred domestic strains.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I find that strange. New Jersey has numerous aquarium clubs. Are you a member of one or been to any of their meetings? I see that the North Jersey Aquarium Society is hosting Dr. Anton Lamboj, a West African cichlid scientist from Vienna Austria. I would love to go, but I'm 1500 miles away.

Don cheech

Alex is near you; also in your neck of the wood there are some quality stores so you should be able to find decent local options. Having said that for the fishes you are considering it doesn't matter much - they are all heavily inbred domestic strains.
you Mentioned Alex earlier who is he and would you have his contact info
Thanks

anewbie

you Mentioned Alex earlier who is he and would you have his contact info
Thanks
I said to check the thread rare apisto for sale:
He is a kid who imports a lot of wc fishes - mostly high value pleco and cory but for whatever reason he brought in a bunch of apisto in his last shipment. I suspect he won't be importing more for a while. If you want to avoid shipping charges you will have to drive over to ny. You can contact him for details.

Anyway as I said your neck of the wood is loaded with some decent stores; I'm not going to give specific recommendations as I've not used them first hand (I'm located elsewhere but have followed others who mentioned stores they have used who live in that area of the country). My neck of the wood is truely devoid - though if i'm willing to drive 9 hours (one way) I can reach some interesting places.

Given the domestic breeds you listed in another post i'd just check some of the local nj stores - the cost of shipping isn't worth buying them via mail order if you can get them locally.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenSet

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(