• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Nijsseni SUCCESS!!!

cdawson

5 Year Member
I came home from work today, to find my Apistogramma Nijsseni female anxiously guarding a new batch of fire engine red eggs! After I had lost all hope and was ready to dump them on someone else they finally spawned!

nijsseni-spawn1.jpg

nijsseni-spawn2.jpg

Thanks for the great fish Dave!

It just goes to show, with apistos patience really is a virtue!

cdawson

5 Year Member
You ALMOST jinxed it! I looked into the nest tonight with a flashlight and saw the DAD! I freaked out when I saw NO eggs and then to my amazement I saw the father caring for the wrigglers! I've never seen this before in any of my apistos, the pair cared for the eggs and now the wrigglers together so co-operatively you wouldn't even have know they wouldn't spawn less than three days ago. Most of the apistos I've seen the female drive the male away almost immediately after spawning until the next time they spawn!

Oupsy

5 Year Member
I've had the same experience of a Nijsseni male keeping wrigglers, but he wouldn t allow the female in the spawning area, and chased it badly to the other end of the tank.

cdawson

5 Year Member
Not sure, but the male wasn't chasing the female at all, in fact they were both hovering over the fry for a few minutes that I watched them this morning.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most species closely related to A. nijsseni tend to form bonded pairs while breeding. It's not unusual for them the share fry brooding after only the female tends the eggs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….