• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Angel Rams

georgedv

5 Year Member
When I was at the lfs last week I saw what was labeled as Angel Rams. These fish have the coloration of regular Rams (blue, gold, red...), but their body shape resembles the body of the parrot fish. They are elongated from top to bottom, like an angle fish and I also noted that their mouth was like a parrot beak.

Anyways...what the heck...this has got to be a hybrid of some kind. I always believed nature provided us with plenty of beautiful things to see and experience....I guess that is not enough!!!

Just wanted to share this.

g

fishme.

5 Year Member
i agree with you.it is really stupid when there are so many beautifull fish to make fish that cannot swimm right,can't close their mouths etc.these fish in amazon would have been eaten from piranhas immediatly just because they are ill fish.
i try to have fish that have their naturall colours.the fish talk by changing their colours.they sow fear,if they are angry,if they want to breed.albino fish breed less just beacause of their speechless appearance

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are not hybrids. They are rams. However, you may better know them as balloon rams. They are deliberately bred to have a curvature of the spine, just like balloon mollies. Whenever I go the petstore, they no longer seem to carry the normal rams, but these monstrosities. Heck, the last time I was in, it was long-finned balloon rams. :eek:

georgedv

5 Year Member
You are right, these are not hybrids...wrong terminology..but you never know. Like the parrot fish, no one seems to know what they truly are.

g

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,

I feel sorry for these fish. As stated in nature they would have been eaten up straight away. That somebody can breed these fish is disgusting in itself, yet sell them. I believe that if a member goes to the LFS and sees these poor deformed creatures, that they state their dissatisfaction to the owner.
:eek: Makes me sick.

lab

5 Year Member
No need to change this:

ramirezi2PS.jpg

It even has a scar. Isn't that nice:wink:

I don't even think that it's necessary to argue about the ethics involved in producing these types of fishes. Frankly I don't need to know about it!

You can just look at it as a commercial product that is not produced for the sake of achieving "natural" beauty, but simply for the sake of selling. There are no other arguments for producing such creatures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….