• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yes, Another ID Question

Crazygar

5 Year Member
About one month ago, my Girlfriend and I were doing our usual Fish Store crawl when we happened upon a little hidden treasure in a tankful of Pristella Tetras; a small (I do mean small) Apistogramma. At the time of purchase it was 3/4" of an Inch but clearly showing some markings.

Now that we've had it for a month, it has grown to 1-1.5" and starting to show some interesting features. We are guessing at either Apistogramma agassazii, A.norberti, A.cruzi or A.macmasteri.

Due to the tank (sand, tons of wood all gnarled together), getting a good picture of it will be a task but I have a good description below;

Source: Origin unknown. Arrived as a contiminant with Pristella Tetras
Size: 1 - 1.5"
Body Shape: Elongated
Dorsal Fin: Pretty even along the edge. Has a small extension at the back starting to show
Lateral Spot: Nearly the same width as the lateral band.
Lateral Band: Broad, goes into Caudal ends in a small arrow shaped feature
Caudal (peduncle) Spot: Yes. Not as clear. But when showing arrow shaped
Tail: Sorta round

Other features:

Colouration: Yellow/Brown, Medium Brown to Yellow/Tan (depends on the mood as always with Apistogramma).
Suborbital Stripe: Yes, very bold
Dorsal Patches: Yes
Anal and Dorsal Fin: Anal has strong black edging, Dorsal, very faint.
Pectoral Fins: Black at the body, white at the tips
Caudal and Dorsal starting to get a red tinge
Blueish Spots on the Gill Plate, not many, just a few
Eyes: Very Dark

We are strongly leaning on Agassizii as our Mystery Apisto but wish for some of the experts to chime in. When I have the option, I will attempt a photograph to help with the id. Thanks.

Gary & Erin

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your description of the fish reminds me of some of the scientific descriptions of apistos from the late 19th century.:) Not a lot of detail, but then there were only 10 - 12 known species. Now there are around 300 species/forms/populations. There are also some contradictory statements in your description. If the lateral band extends into the caudal fin, then the fish can't have a caudal spot. Your description of the pectoral fin seems more like a description of the ventral fins. Most apistos have hyaline pectorals; some have yellow, but I know of none that have black in them. It might help if you wait a bit longer, until the fish matures, and then try to give us a new description.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Jest ye kidding! ROFL. I'll try to get a picture Mike, I know that Apistos are hard to describe and id when they are young. Might borrow a good photographer to get a good shot. We are hyper curious about "Nim" (the Apisto in question name).

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
To follow up this thread, it turned out to be a very pretty and stunning Apistogramma agassizi. His colours are stunning. A month after we posted this, we definitely saw changes in shape, colour and behaviour. Thanks again.

Gary

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….