• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WTB: Anomolachromis Ehomasi - Sierra Leone

viejo

5 Year Member
Looking for the Sierra Leone population of A. Thomasi if it is still available anyuwhere. Also am seeking for Hemichromis 'cf. cristatus UL-1' which is sometimes labeled as 'true cristatus' ( just may be that fish IMHO)- See my avatar pic.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your typo 'through me for a loop'. For a moment I thought that the Sierra Leone population of Anomalochromis had been recently described!:wink: I still have some H. cf. cristatus that you sent me a couple of years ago, but those aren't UL-1.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Larry,

I can get the Asian bred line of A. thomasi Sierra Leone. As far as I can find out no one is really collecting in Sierra Leone for thomasi right now...just not that safe or profitable-trust me, I've asked for the fish MANY times and can only get the Guinea form out of the wild.

Jeff

viejo

5 Year Member
I've tried to get SL Thomasi from the Fae East in the past & have always ended up with the Guinea form. I was pretty well resigned to the fact that wild caught Sl form would not be much of a possibility these days. I would be contented enough to get aquarium strain if you can get them.

Larry

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that there are some of the SL form being raised in Florida still. I will ask around.

Microlepomis

I've got some friends in Sierra Leone. I visited them and went swimming in a beautiful jungle river seven hours from Freetown... there were doubtless all sorts of wonderful Pelvicachromis types, Anomolachromis, tetras and barbs swimming with me... Unfortunately there's nobody working in Sierra Leone right now. The nation's still essentially devoid of infrastructure after their terrible civil wars. Honestly, they have some very unique and intact aquatic biotopes, they could probably use the development of a fish trade to help boost themselves off of the bottom of the UN's "least developed places in the world" list...

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I wish it were safe to travel in Sierra Leone to collect fish. If you can get in and out of there... bring back some fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, it's really hard to walk to collecting sites without feet and collect without hands. Just ask some of the poor people who ran afoul of the rebels. Hopefully it will stabilize in a few years.

Microlepomis

It was a fairly un-eventful trip safety wise. Several times we were nearly in real big trouble, but my friends happen to include a tribal prince, a bunch of Parliamentarians and some of the President's cabinet... so we had some local clout on our side. I certainly would hesitate to recommend it as a hot travel destination for holiday... but it is an absolutely beautiful place with nearly all entirely beautiful people.

viejo

5 Year Member
That is very true. I suspect that caucasians without an attitude would be relatively safe in S.L. but lacking the necessary funds & being a little too old for the heroic crap, I'll have to pass.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Having been to west Africa, the problem is not the 99.9% of the people who you meet. All it takes is the one person with an AK-47, machete or just a bad attitude and the desire to prove his superiority.

viejo

5 Year Member
My experience has been that it is not the one individual but the group 'mentality' of several such individuals. Generally teenagers or young adults.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….