• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will this setup work?

DavidT

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I am a new member just getting into apisto's. I have been a fan of African cichlids from lakes Malawi and Tanganyika for many years and now want to try South American dwarf's.

I have setup a 30 UK gallon planted tank (32"x16"x18") that I want to use for apisto's. I am thinking of keeping;

A pair of rams
A trio of apisto cacautoides or borellii
8x Cardinal tetras
8x Rummy nosed tetras
3x cory catfish
1x ancistrus

Will the rams and apisto's get along or could I have a second apisto species instead of the Rams.

My water at present is PH7.8 GH10 KH6.

Does this look likely to work?

Thanks

fishgeek

the ancistrus cory's and rams/apsito's will all be competeing for lower level in tank so area is more important than volume

the ph of the water is possibly too high for ram's , though cac's may be ok in it
if the hardness is only ten then adjustment shouldn't be too hard with peat (adding chemicals to drop ph will not be appropriate for apisto's generally)

all the other fsh you have listed will not make for a breeding setup
egg and fry eaters
have a search under the species you are interested in and also under dither fish for more info

andrew

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
I agree with most of fishgeek points however most of the fish stated on your list will be fine. Though fishgeek is right that ancistrus can and do eat spawn, the female will usually find a place to spawn that is safe.
The corys will also eat eggs and fry but with only three in the tank the female should be more than able to handle them though there probably will be some losses. Ruby Nosed Tetras are quite a good dither fish and I would recommend than. The fish that I would not include are the Cardinal Tetras they are quite accomplished at picking off fry and do so in a coordinated manner. As in when the female is chasing one away the others will rush in and pick the fry off.

Could I ask where you are in the UK

BigDaddy

5 Year Member
I used pencil fish as a target for my cacs.

As for the rams, if your tank is heavily planted and/or lots of hiding places/territory markers, you can get away with a pair for every square foot of tank footprint. But that's really pushing it.

My rams pairs get 2 square feet to themselves for breeding. Ottos for cleanup work (won't touch eggs or fry) and pencilfish for dither/target.

DavidT

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies.

Peter, I am in Harpenden in Hertfordshire.

I tested the tank water again last night, PH 7.6, GH 10.3 KH8.9. I tested the water out of the tap, PH 7.6, GH 12, KH 10.3. I need to buy new test kits as the ones I have expired earlier this year, the above measurements were taken using a Hagen kit when I tested GH and KH with an AP kit (also about 3 years old) I got readings off the scale i.e GH 30 and KH 25 !!!!! I am hoping the Hagen kit is more accurate! So I am thinking of ways to lower my water hardness a little although my LFS in St. Albans says they keep all their fish in the same water as mine.

I am still in the planning stage for what cichlids and tankmates that I want, I have looked at the pencil fish but read that they are very nervous and timid fish easily spooked by assertive tankmates!

I don't think my ancistrus will cause much trouble as she is only about 3" long even after owning her for nearly 2 years. I am pretty set on getting a trio of corys, I used to have some Leapard Corys a few years back and really liked there characters. I may look at getting a couple of Otto's as well and maybe some algae eating shrimp for variety providing the cichlids don't eat them.

I am not too concerned about breeding at present, I guessed that it would be difficult given my water parameters but who knows what the future will bring, I am well used to see spawns devoured by tankmates in my Malawi and Tanganyikan tanks.

As usual there are so many decisions to make with so little tank space.

David

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
In general terms a Dwarf Cichlid is a small cichlid that is no more than 4†in length and that are able to be kept in a community tank without any problem unless spawning and even then they should not kill any other fish.

So as breeding is not your first interest then the fish you have chosen will be just fine together and the tank they are going in looks great. I would however say that I have never had much luck with tank bred Rams. When it comes to cacatuoides they will more than likely spawn in the water you have, coming from the tap and if you do get Rams they will also spawn but the eggs may not hatch.

I would also hold off on getting ottos for about 6 months after the other fish go in they do seem to need very mature water.

DavidT

5 Year Member
I have had another idea.

I am thinking of replacing the Rams with another type of cichlid I have in mind laetracara curviceps or dorisger (sp?). Would these fair better with my water parameters? Are there any others that would coexist happily with a. caucatoidess or a. borrelli?

Thanks

David

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
IMO any of the laetracara would fit in well with your set up but again though they will spawn. The get may not hatch. I really like laetracara I had Two pair in a 5 foot tank and there border disputes where great to watch

Sorry for the late and short reply bu i am building a new fish house and have been painting the wall and racks and i think i am over doing it a little but i want it finished by Xmas.

There will be 32 - 4' and 16 - 5' tanks all for dwarfs and a total 7500 litres.

I also hope to get planning so i can also sell the fish I breed.

When it is finished you are more than welcome to come and have a look.

DavidT

5 Year Member
Thanks Peter

I have been thinking about getting an 3 stage portable RO system that states it is for aquarium use but I have also seen domestic use 5 stage systems that are maybe 2 to 3 times the price but also include a pressurised container to store the water (usually about 4 gallons) and a tap/faucet that is installed over the sink. The 3 stage system has only the filters and a method of connecting the input to a tap/faucet.

Will either system be sufficient for my requirements?

Thanks

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Both system will work and i know just the man for you to get yours from

http://www.ro-man.com/

His price and knowledge is very good.

The best method is to have the system permanently connected into the mains and run that out to a water but outside.

You should also get yourself a TDS metre, In-line or just a stick.

If you do get yourself one of these then you can keep any softwater dwarf around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….