• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild A. borellii and trifasciatus anyone?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have the oppurtinity to bring in some wild borellii and trifasciatus. Estimated pricing is at $12-$15 each. Let me know ASAP if you would like any and I'll see if I can get the order in.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Estamated Price Correction:

borellii $8-$10 each
trifasciatus $9-$11 each

Also on the list that I'll try to get in (maybe instead of the trifasciatus):

Dicrossus maculatus Tapajos $20-$25 each

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Slated to come into the US around the 18th of this month. (unless the order gets pushed back for reasons outside of my controle)

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here's what I ordered for arrival the week of the 18th:

Apistogramma borellii
Apistogramma caetei
Apistogramma trifasciata
Corydoras caudimaculatus
Dicrossus maculatus
Laetacara cf. curviceps Buckelkopf...what's the real name now?

And the list of subs in order of preferance if any of the above doesn't fill:

Pterophyllum scalare Arltamira
Laetacara dorsigera
Corydoras cf. schwartzi CW028
Corydoras haraldschultzi
Corydoras sterbai

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Laetacara araguaiae

Are the ones only from Rio Araguaia called araguaiae or also those from Rio Marajo? If not, then you may want to ask which river the Laetacara cf. curviceps Buckelkopf are from.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
O.K. Mike...

So what should I expect with these:

Apistogramma borellii Paraná...no idea on this locational info
Apistogramma trifasciata Guapore...I'm expecting cf. trifasciata or possibly sp. Mamore

It's so nice to have an expert around to help with all of these fish! I'll be sure to get photos up of all of the Apistos that come in. Then the REAL fun begins!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, if the borellii are from the Río Paraná system, they are a southern population and I'd expect nice blue fish with less yellow. The Guaporé trifasciata will probably be the honey-yellow backed form, but A. erythrua is found in the same system. It could be either.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Hot Dog! I sure hope this is true. The true A. caetei doesn't occur on the Ihla de Marajo. The Marajo form is more colorful (A. cf. caetei Rotwangen/Red-cheeks).

So A. cf caetei "Marajo" is the same as A. cf Caetei "Rotwangen/Red-cheeks"?

What about A. cf caetei "Capim", "Paraguay", and "Guama"? This is giving me a headache.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
So A. cf caetei "Marajo" is the same as A. cf Caetei "Rotwangen/Red-cheeks"?

What about A. cf caetei "Capim", "Paraguay", and "Guama"? This is giving me a headache.

OK, "Marajo" is a collecting locality; "Rotwangen" is a descriptive name for a caetei-complex form that is found on the Ihla de Marajó. They are the same fish. The form was originally introduced as A. caetei in the late 1970s, but renamed "Rotwangen" when it was discovered to be a different form. A. cf. caetei "Capim" occurs in the Rio Capim. According to Ready, et al. (2005) it is genetically the same species as A. cf. caetei "Guamá" from the Rio Guamá - and these 2 populations of the same species are genetically different from the true A. caetei, which occurs in Atlantic coastal streams farther south (Rio Caeté, Rio Apeú, Rio Gurupi, and Rio Turiaçu). A. sp. Paraguay is a caetei-complex species that arrived in shipments of fish from Paraguay in the 1980s. It is not known where it actually comes from. It is possible that the fish were collected somewhere in Brazil and then shipped to Paraguay to be shipped to Germany. We know that Laetacara araguaiae is also found in Paraguay, but it is believed to be an "exotic" species that escaped form Paraguayan fish exporters that sold the same fish as "Aequiden curviceps" at the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….