• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Apisto to choose?

TuvaM

Hi everyone.

I went to my LFS today to see what species they had, and I found that they have a lot of species I haven't heard of. I find it hard to figure out which species would fit my tank the most, so a little advice would be fantastic. Originally I wanted to get the A.Agassizii "Fire red" but unfortunally they are not longer available.
Other fish in the tank are going to be hyphessobrycon amandae (ember tetra) and some kind of otocinclus.
My tank is about 60L (15 gallon) with many plants and roots.
I'm not overly interested in breeding them, but I'm fine with it if it happens.
The available apistoes which I am interested in are:

A. Ortegai
A. Erythrua
A. Nijsseni - too agressive maybe?
A. Agassizii
A. sp. Kelleri
A. Uaupesi

In addition, I know I can get A. Borellii.

Phile

Hi everyone.

I went to my LFS today to see what species they had, and I found that they have a lot of species I haven't heard of. I find it hard to figure out which species would fit my tank the most, so a little advice would be fantastic. Originally I wanted to get the A.Agassizii "Fire red" but unfortunally they are not longer available.
Other fish in the tank are going to be hyphessobrycon amandae (ember tetra) and some kind of otocinclus.
My tank is about 60L (15 gallon) with many plants and roots.
I'm not overly interested in breeding them, but I'm fine with it if it happens.
The available apistoes which I am interested in are:

A. Ortegai
A. Erythrua
A. Nijsseni - too agressive maybe?
A. Agassizii
A. sp. Kelleri
A. Uaupesi

In addition, I know I can get A. Borellii.
I have had borellii and they were peaceful and produced fry. The males are also nice looking fish.

Siggi

A. borelli should normally be kept, and especially for breeding, in rather cooler water than most other Apistos. Goes well with neon tetras, panda cory's and likewise cold (cool-) water fish. Normally peaceful.
A. uaupesi is a typical Blackwater cichlid... Needs very acid and low (~0) hardness - lots of leaves in the bottom is best... I bred these guys but their water resembled coka-cola - at least in colour and acidity.
A. agassizi has a very wide natural range in the southern amazon and thus is more forgiving with regard to water quality. I'd stick with that...

@ agassizi's water quality - I only meant chemical parameters. Ass all apistos, it needs clean (<10 nitrates and stable) water...
Note: A. nijsseni's can be nasty towards unpaired females, as they pair (no harem) and leftover 'ladies' are chased...

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A pair of any should work in a 15. It really depends on the layout of the tank and water values you're willing to give the fish. Of the species listed Kelleri, nijsseni (if not a compatible pair), and ortegai are the more aggressive species.

TuvaM

Thanks guys!
I think I will go for either Agassizii or Erythrua then. The Nijsseni I saw seemed to be rather peaceful actually. There were 3 males and 1 (small) female, and the female was swimming along side one of the males. No sign of agression in either.

Siggi

The small and normally plant less fish tanks do not allow the fish to display their normal social behaviour. These small cubes of water remind me of the gladiators in ancient Rome, sold in the markets around the empire. - capture the best looking warriors and sell them before the weakest begin to die...
Fortunately some fish get a better destiny than the arena, but the endless small tanks with a fee fish in each sill carry the resemblance.
I've come to the conclusion that it takes some training to see the health of the fish on display.
I normally leave a wish list at my LFS at get my fish before they get on display - terribly stressed but free from diseases!!
Get acquainted with the owner, try to get info on the fish and take your time to choose!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….