• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What`s the best way to keep my ram`s.

scoozo

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,
Another question:what`s the best way to keep ram`s?
I keep 1 copple in a 25 liter tank,and there`s a spunsh filter in there.
But they only live for about a month and then they get ill or die without any visual damage.
I keep them in a ph value between 6.5 and 7.5 is this to high?
Every time i buy a new copple they spawn for 3 times or something,and then they die,what can i do about it?please help.
And what`s the best way to keep the fry?With that i mean when they spawned shall i keep the mother and father with their spawn or remove them?

Neil

scoozo,

I have moved your post to the forum that it will receive the most interest. As I mentioned in the thread below, you may want to do a search for rams in the menu at the top. There has been tons discussed about keeping, breeding and parental involvement about rams.
If the parents are good they can stay with the fry. However, many prefer to remove them or one.
They are fairly delicate and can have a number of diseases already present when you bring them home from the shop. Just the transfer to your tank might be enough of a stressor to start them to decline. Breeding is also a BIG stressor. That can do it to.
What is your hardness like? The pH is OK, but they won't do well with a lot of hardness in the tank.
Temp. can be another issue. If you don't keep you tank fairly warm, they can decline. I would keep the temp at 82 or above. They seem happier and healthier in a warm tank.
Neil

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Scooso i don't understand Rams either. Mine spawn 3-4 times they don't die but they get sterile--nothing at all --maybe the females are programmed or something!

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Scooso i don't understand Rams either. Mine spawn 3-4 times they don't die but they get sterile--nothing at all --maybe the females are programmed or something!

Eva32181

5 Year Member
Neil said:
They are fairly delicate and can have a number of diseases already present when you bring them home from the shop. Just the transfer to your tank might be enough of a stressor to start them to decline. Breeding is also a BIG stressor. That can do it to.
What is your hardness like? The pH is OK, but they won't do well with a lot of hardness in the tank.
Temp. can be another issue. If you don't keep you tank fairly warm, they can decline. I would keep the temp at 82 or above. They seem happier and healthier in a warm tank.
Neil

Rams can definitely come with diseases - quarantine all new rams and try getting your next pair from somewhere other than you usual source - maybe your LFS has diseases.

As for the hardness, my large tank has a kH of 3 and a Gh of 12 and my rams are fine - breeding even. (Their last bunch of free-swimming fry got eaten by a mean cacatuoides, however)

Definitely keep them warm. Your plants will just have to deal with it.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….