• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what in your tank/tanks??

sheag35

well i have recently gotten more and more into apistos and dwarfs in the last couple of months, so much to say i have now got a few species tanks going,
my current list includes
Ap. agassissi double red x 6 2m+4f
ap piauiensis wilds x6 3m+3f
ap hongsloi f1 x10 juvies
ap veijita form II ( now macmasteri after m.wises and others correct id) x15 5m+10f
Ap macmasteri wilds x5 2m+3f
ap baenschi inka wilds x12 6m+6f
Ap eremnopyge f1 x5 1m+4f
Ap eunotus x5 juvies
Apistogramma atahualpha wilds x 9 1m+8f
Ap iniridae f1 x6 juvies
Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis wild pair
Dicrossus filamentosus 2m+4f

also a
breeding groups of
10 pairs wild lamp multifasciatus
6 pairs wild lamp similis
10 wild frontosa zaire blue
f2 tropheus duboisi

i also keep groups of wild discus, wild scalare xingu,wild geophagus balzani, f2 l333, f1 l66, f2 l411, wild l190, l128, l47, l 204 , f2 othopharanx litobates black gold, f3 pundamillia neyeri "ruti island", f1 syno petricolor, f2 Astatotilapia nubila , alunocara ob, wild syno multifaciatus, brochis splendens, ancistrus sp and numerous types of corydoras (13 different species)

so what have you got in your tanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ugly apistos mostly: A. agassizii (Leticia), A. cf. agassizii BBCS (Madeira-Gold), A. bitaeniata (Río Tigre), A. cf. eunotus (Huanta), A. norberi (4 year old pair), A. rubrolineata, A. sp. Nadelstreifen, A. sp. Papagei male (real McCoy and 4 years old), and recently A. sp. Cruzeiro. Non-apistos include Hemichromis cf. cristatus, Laetacara curviceps (6 or 7 years old), Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, and Pelvicachromis taeniatus (sensu lato - probably a cross of a couple of forms). Non-cichlids include unidentified tetras, Nematobrycon lacourti, and Crenuchus spilurus Red - the Sailfin Tetra. Also keep a colony of albino Cory. aneus. As you can see, I'm not really into many of the commercially commonly available species. I think I've been in the hobby so long that I'm getting jaded.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I only have two species of SA DwarfCichlids presently.
I have two groups of Dicrossus filamentosus; one set up with a male and 3 females alone for breeding and four younger specimens in my planted 125 gal Tetra tank.

I recently acquired a young wild pair of Apistogramma cf. agassizi Tefe which I set up in a 20 long with six small(>2-1/2") specimens of Banjo Catfish. I don't think the Banjo Cats at their present size will pose much if any threat to the Apistos's eggs/fry since they rarely enter the caves and mainly burrow into the sand or thing between the dense foliage of a Tropica Amazon Sword which is a medium sized Sword plant. Once the Banjo Cats grow larger i would not trust them as much.

I do not usually use dither fish in my breeding set ups unless I plan to use artificial hatching of eggs but my favorites if and when I do are Nannostomus eques or Marble Hatchetfish because they are so surface oriented. The Pencilfish have extremely small tubes as mouths so they are very safe tank mates.

sheag35

Wow mike some serious fish there very very nice and apisromaster as well but I wouldn't trust banjos near small / juvie apistos they may not actively hunt fry but given the opportunity then they will snatch passing fry ime

steve1572

Apistogramma cacatuoides 3 pairs 1 wild 2 domesctic
Apistogramma iniridae wild pair
Apistogramma macmasteri wild Pair
Apistogramma steindachneri wild pair
Apistogramma cf. eunotus "Orangeschwanz" F1 pair
Apistogramma sp. "Nadelstreifen" F1 pair from tom c wild pair
Apistogramma sp. "Pebas" ("Morado") wild pair
Apistogramma sp. "Schwarzkehl" wild pair
Apistogramma barlowi (Red color form) wild pair
Apistogramma baenschi wild pair
Apistogramma norberti F1 pair
Apistogramma alacrina wild pair
Apistogramma sp. "Rotpunkt" wild pair

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi wild pair and electric blue pair
Crenicichla regani (Rio Tapajós) wild pair

various pencil fish and some splash tetra

sheag35

wow some really nice apistos there, how do the splash tetras get on with the apistos or do you keep them in a seperate tank???

tompoz

Looking at your lists I am really impressed. In my tanks I have so far the following Apistos:
A. Papagei WF male (waiting for a female)
A. sp. Masken WF female (waiting for a male)
A. agassizii Flamenco F1 1+1 (however I have not seen the girl for last two days)
A. rositae WF 1+1 plus some fry

Other fish include:
H. amandae
A. riesei
P. simulans
P. weitzmani
D. erythromicron
D. dario
O. affinis
N. sp. Peru
L. lanceolata red
C. hastatus
C. pygmaeus

regani

5 Year Member
A. panduro,
A. agassizii Double Red
A. macmasteri
A. trifasciata
A. borellii Opal
A. hongsloi Super Red
A. Schwarzkinn

The supply here in Australia is a bit more limited compared to the US or Europe, but there are the occasional imports from South America and some from breeders in Southeast Asia, as well as some local hobbyists breeding some species. I am planning to get maybe a few more, but that's probably as much as I can handle :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Not much at the moment.
Apistogramma cacatuoides (Domestic Red) 2 males and several females + fry.
Otocinclus vittatus? 4
1 Hypancistrus L333/L66 sub adult (came as a "contaminant" with the L129 when they were all small fry)
4 Hypancistrus deblittera sub-adult
1 male, 2 females Iriatherina werneri
4 Carnegiella strigata
4 Nannostomus marginatus
10 Corydoras pygmaeus
4 Corydoras hastatus

Looking at that I need to breed some more dithers fairly rapidly.

and plenty of shrimps.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member

I would be really interested to learn how you got this species. As far as I know, the holotype form has never been imported alive and the paratype form was only imported once, by Alf Stalsberg and Tonny Andersen back in 1993. Do you have any photos of your fish? I'm not saying that your fish aren't A. alacrina, but every photo of 'A. alacrina' that I've seen in the hobby has been a population of A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt), which I see you also have.

steve1572

Hi mike i will upload a picture later the i have one of the female showing the anal blotch whicj i think is what splits them i maybe wrong and i will try to get another later the came in a mixed bag from columbia same catch are as the Apistogramma sp. "Schwarzkehl" wild pair

steve1572

wow some really nice apistos there, how do the splash tetras get on with the apistos or do you keep them in a seperate tank???
They get on fine im using them as dithers at the moment untill they mature and then im going to have a crack at breeding them

steve1572

Apistogramma cacatuoides 3 pairs 1 wild 2 domesctic
Apistogramma iniridae wild pair
Apistogramma macmasteri wild Pair
Apistogramma steindachneri wild pair
Apistogramma cf. eunotus "Orangeschwanz" F1 pair
Apistogramma sp. "Nadelstreifen" F1 pair from tom c wild pair
Apistogramma sp. "Pebas" ("Morado") wild pair
Apistogramma sp. "Schwarzkehl" wild pair
Apistogramma barlowi (Red color form) wild pair
Apistogramma baenschi wild pair
Apistogramma norberti F1 pair
Apistogramma sp. "Rotpunkt" wild pair

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi wild pair and electric blue pair
Crenicichla regani (Rio Tapajós) wild pair

various pencil fish and some splash tetra

Almost forgot
3 pairs of Apistogramma vielfleck wild

steve1572

Heres the best i can do the anal blotch is more prominent on the other side but i cant get her to stay still that way for some reason
imag0876l.jpg

imag0879f.jpg

im probably wrong maybe wishful thinking but it will be good to know before the fry are ready to go

Algae Beater

Apistogramma Barlowi 2 wild pairs
Apistogramma Borelli 2 wild trios
Apistogramma Rositae wild pair
Apistogramma panduro wild pair
Apistogramma bitaeniata wild group of juvies (looks like 2 males 2 female)

henkh

5 Year Member
Very nice lists! Little jealous at the list of Mike because of the Rubrolineata's. My Rubro's past out all of the group and i mstill don't know why.
I got:
A. Amapá
A. Gossei
A. biteaniata
A. Barlowi (white form)
A. Melgar (Sp Nanay....wrongly named by Romer)
M. Ramirezi
M. Altispinosa
D. Filamentosus

And several other fish like tera's, l-numbers, otocinclus, live bearers, shrimp et cetera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….